It took some effort, but Elizabeth finally turned her gaze to the other man who stood near the judge. She was only beginning to examine him when the wagon's door was pulled open and her family began filing out.

Samuel shot her one last look before climbing out of the wagon behind Gretchen. Elizabeth was the last to climb out, her legs all of a sudden feeling like jelly.

Once settled on her feet, she released her hold on the footman's hand and raised her gaze to the party before her.

Her parents had already began exchanging pleasantries with the Wellingtons. She saw the man with the light brown hair, plant a kiss on her mothers knuckles.

Turning her gaze back to the other man, she was just in time to catch his eyes. For a brief second, their eyes locked. He seemed to be staring at her in awe. Or was it pain?

"And you must be Lady Elizabeth?"

She turned towards the voice and her eyes came to rest on the man with the light brown hair. He stood smiling at her, his eyes twinkling.

"Yes." She smiled and held out her hand to him. He took it and planted a kiss on her gloved knuckle.

"I'm Frederick."

Elizabeth just stood there, wondering why she felt no connection to the man who stood before her.

"Elizabeth, how you have grown!" Lord Wellington called, taking captive of her hand and planting a kiss on it. She offered him a smile, fighting the urge to turn to look at the mysterious man who maintained his position on the porch. "Come right in." He said, before ushering them into the building.

Elizabeth passed the mysterious man who still hadn't been introduced and stole a glance at him; he had his head bowed.

Dinner with the Wellingtons progressed smoothly. Elizabeth found out soon enough that the man with dark brown hair was Fredericks butler and she immediately scolded herself for watching him so much. She hated to think she was scaring or making the poor man feel uncomfortable. Did he think her rude for watching him? She hoped not. Not that what he thought of her would count anyway.

"Elizabeth?"

She felt a nudge on her arm and turned to her left to find Frederick watching her.

"Hm?" She asked, blushing. She hadn't been paying attention.

"While my grandfather accommodate your parents and your little brother, would you take a walk with me?" Frederick asked.

"Oh..." She opened her mouth to speak when the butler came into the room with a jug of water. Her gaze immediately went back to him for a few seconds before she turned back to Frederick. "Yes." She nodded.

"Good." Frederick's brown eyes lighted up and he rose to his feet, holding out his hand to her.

Rising to her feet, she took his hand and allowed him lead her out of the dining area but not without noticing the proud look on her parent's faces.

Frederick led her through the house and to the garden that sat just behind the building. The evening air was chilly but Elizabeth didn't want to complain so she sat quietly beside Frederick.

"I must say how pleased I was to have received a letter from you." Frederick began and a smile spread across Elizabeth's face.

"I was glad to have received yours as well." She turned to him.

"Really?" Elizabeth thought he sounded confused and intrigued all at once.

"Yes!" She said in enthusiasm. "Your letters kept me awake for many nights." She admitted, before placing both her hands over her mouth, embarrassed. She felt her cheeks become red. "I'm so sorry, Lord Frederick, for being so forward." She glanced down.

"Need I say, Elizabeth," He said, lifting her chin up. A broad smile creased his face. "That I am delighted to finally meet you and," He heaved a breath and went to his knees before you. "I would love to be your husband. Will you marry me?"

Copyright © 2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

The above cover and banner were made by @purplity

The above cover and banner were made by @purplity. Thank you sooooo much😘😘😘😘