Chapter 9. The invitation

Draco POV

I feared, Harry didn't like my presents this month, because Heka hadn't returned last night.
Was my voice too much?
Or was it lame, and many others had sent cookbooks too?
I was driven crazy! 

I nervously I sipped my coffee and read the daily prophet. It was a shitty newspaper, but it was interesting to know what lies the light published.
"HARRY POTTER KIDNAPPED BY YOU-KNOW WHO" I giggled a little about the headline and tried to read the interview with Dumbleduck, but I started laughing so hard that Toppy was concerned about my well-being!
I placed the newspaper in the fireplace, I mean, it might be shitty at informing, but it is great at burning! 

When I was about to take another piece of bacon, my hand was bitten by an overly eager owl
"Heka, old girl! How are you?" I asked and scratched her neck and let her eat a piece of bacon.
She gave me the letter and left to visit her friends in the owlery. I slowly opened the letter, hoping that there wasn't a howler in it. 

But there was nice smelling parchment and elegant handwriting.
Harry had indeed practised or started using a professional quill at least. Thinking about writing feathers I remembered when I tried using one of my own as a quill.
Turns out, Veela-feathers aren't meant for soaking up ink and releasing it again. I opened the letter, in which a smaller one was engulfed. 

Harry told me that he liked my cookbook, especially that it read the recipe out and stopped you when you made the wrong move or forgot something.
He would be happy over a second one of that kind. 'Your wish is my order' I thought. He told me that there wasn't a challenge this month, I could just send whatever I thought would help me.
With love, Harry.
Then I picked up the smaller letter. It was black parchment, written on with white and orange ink.

Invitation to the Halloween ball of Lord Gaunt and Lord Prince

Dear Lord Draco Malfoy, you are invited to the Halloween ball of Lord Gaunt and Lord Prince.

Beginning: October, 31st, at 8 pm

Ending: October, 31st, at midnight

To bring with you: A costume

Do you bring a plus one? YES NO

That was the challenge! Harry, coming from a wealthy Pure Veela family on his father's side, will have to hold many balls in his lifetime, and they wanted to know how we acted.
Anyone that didn't appear at the ball will be eliminated, like everyone that didn't bring a costume, came late or did bring a plus one. 

It is seen as unmoralistic to bring someone else to a ball, dance, soiree or anything in that direction while courting.
No family members, that shows low self-esteem, or that you are underage and need someone to supervise you.
No other submissive Veela, even when it is just to make them desirable to other suitors that will stop courting their submissive of interest soon.

I mean, who would be that stupid?
Oh yes, Weasleys.
But then a question popped up in my head: Where do I get a good costume?
I had never been to a ball where I needed a costume, and I wouldn't just bring a 20-bucks-one from a muggle store.
I could make one myself, but I couldn't sew to save my life! 

Well, I guessed it was time to call my parents. It can take some weeks to make an outfit, so I better find a good tailor now.
I checked on mom's vacation list where they would be now and made a firecall. 

The first thing a saw was a bed, both my parents were sleeping. Oh yeah, it was nighttime on the carbic islands.
I wanted to end the call already, when mom jerked up.
She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and she stood came near the fireplace. "Draco!" she screamed and woke up dad. 

"Mother, please. Are you okay?" I asked, when I saw dad roll out of the bed one roll too much. "Yes son, now tell us why you called us at such an ungodly hour." he answered, what earned him a slap into the neck by mom. "
You are the one that woke me up at one o'clock in the night because you dreamed someone cut your hair off!"
Dad didn't say anything after that.
"Now tell us, son." mom said. 

"Do you know a tailor that does Halloween costumes? I was invited to a ball..."
Mom grabbed dad and shook him.
"Do you hear, our son was invited to his first ball, he is growing up so fast!" Dad just shook his head. 

"Mademoiselle McGrey in Edinburgh does them. And send us a letter about how it went, young man! We will be back around Christmas, and don't make the house too messy. And eat at least three times a day..."
"He is a grown man, you said so yourself. Now come on, let's take a walk on the beach, I'm sure we can find some nice seashells." Dad shut mom up and gave me the 'you-owe-me' look.
I ended the call and made an appointment at Mademoiselle McGrey's boutique and send an answer back to Harry. I hoped that this would go well.

Some days after

"Stand still, Lord Malfoy, or I won't be able to take your measurements." And how I hated that! Could she take any longer?
I didn't ask for a complicated costume that needed to stick to my body, and still, this woman even measured the length of my foot! 

"Well then, Lord Malfoy, I'm finished. After you picked the fabric I can start with the real work. The finished product will be sent to your address, ready to wear."
She gave me a catalogue and looked through it. I found a nice, dark grey material with a light feel to it.
I decided to take it and leave, finally. I still needed to finish Harry's present for this week. 

Just, because there was no challenge involving presents, I wouldn't stop. Harry needed routine, and I would keep it up. 

A/N: What do you think Draco will dress up as? Please vote and comment!

MeineKeime