Chapter 4: Fallen Heroes

ابدأ من البداية

"¡Si señor!"

"Pues, let's get this war over with."

War cries were heard on the battlefield. It rained both bullets and crimson blood on the battlefield. Surprisingly enough, most of the Mexican soldiers surrendered cowardly. Six young soldiers put up the fight of their lives and died valiantly. The Americans were able to get into the castle, where the Mexican flag was being held. (b/n) gave a good chase, until finally, he was cornered at the edge of the wall, where he would either give in or heroically fall to his death for his country, for his fallen comrades, for his family, for his little sister. The American soldiers had captured Mexico, holding her beat and bruised form in front of her brother.

"¡Por favor hermano, no lo hagas! Just give them the flag!"

"Tú ya saves que no puedo a ser eso hermanita..." he faced the American soldiers, looking at America in the eye who was leading them.

"You, are supposed to be Mexico's older brother, and you treat her like this? Tú nomas eres como los demás. You're hungry for money, for power, just like the other countries." America's face showed no emotion, but if you knew him well enough, you could see the pain in his eyes.

"I promised mi hermanita that I'd come home. But today, I must break that promise." He turned to his little sister again, his gaze determined.

"Yo te dije que yo me moriría para ti. Pues hoy es el día. This world is cruel. It is also very beautiful. Tú me enseñaste lo bonito de este mundo, and I'm grateful for it." With that, he jumped off the wall into the dense forest.

"(B/N)!!!" Mexico's cry echoed throughout the now eerily silent battlefield. That was both the day when the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed, when Mexico's brother sacrificed himself, as well as the day when he was supposed to go home and celebrate his birthday with his friends and families.

Present Day...

"Gracias papa. I'll make sure to make to make it up to you." I paced around my room, talking on the phone with Spain.

"No hay ninguna problema. I'll make sure to get you the notes. Besides chica, you don't have to make it up to me."

"Okay papa. I'll see you later. Adiós." I hung up and stood there in silence. I finally decided to head out. I stopped at the garden that was filled with 23 types of flowers, all native to my country. I quietly picked mi hermano's favourite, which happened to be both the frangipani and dahlia flowers. He was indecisive and decided that those were his two favourite flowers. Once I finished, I went over to the front of my house where my motorcycle was parked, waiting for me to drive it. And so I did after putting on my helmet.

My boots flattened the fluorescent grass. My feet felt as if they were moving on their own. I looked down to see that I had in fact left a path of trampled grass from all the times I had visited. After a good mile of walking, I finally arrived to the miniature temple that I had built in remembrance of my brother. It was surrounded by six pillars, each with a name on it. The gold plaques read 'Fransisco Gomez', 'Javier Gomez', Josué Gomez', 'Arturo Gomez', Teresa Rosa Gomez', and 'Eduardo Reyes Gomez'. They were the six soldiers that fought till their last breath. They were the rest of my brothers and sister. I had barely found out about their valiant deaths after I had signed the treaty. I sat down on the floor, my legs crossed.

"Hermanos, hermanita, I wish you guys were here con migo. I regret not spending as much time with you guys."

"It's my fault you guys are dead. Es mi culpa por ser tan cabezona. If I agreed to let him take the land he wanted, none of this would have happened." A single tear ran down my cheek, one that I quickly wiped off.