Chapter 15 - Arabian Nights

Start from the beginning

"Oh, he is mad," I say between laughs. "No offense to your brother, but I like my men a bit older than me,"

"I know. Remember I'm still your boyfriend since the beach party," he smirks.

I laugh even harder. "I forgot. I'm such a bad girlfriend,"

"I'm honestly offended," he places the back of his hand on his forehead on a dramatic gesture.

I like how we are around each other lately. It feels comfortable. I don't see myself anymore as his boss. We are in this together.

"I hope they appreciate all the time and effort we put in the decorations and the favors," Devin says. "If my calculations are right, we have spent the most man hours so far in this party,"

"You are right. I've never done this theme before and could reuse very little of what I had already. How did you know where to find all the lamps and the right fabrics?"

"We did a movie with a 1001 nights theme..."

Devin stops talking and shakes his head. I don't know why he gets all weird whenever he talks about his movies.

"And?" I try to make him continue.

"Not much. We got the props there,"

"Was it for children?"

"No, it wasn't," he smiles a little. "More like an alternative version,"

The hotel where the party will happen is visible ahead in the road and I don't continue the questions. The guard at the entrance directs me to the supplier area. Then Devin and I head together with the event manager to the room booked for the occasion.

We make a plan on how we will mount the gorgeous backdrops with carved patterns that Devin made. The ceilings are strong enough for our curtains too. Satisfied with the blank canvas, we head to the van to pick our decoration materials. We then work hard for over two hours to set everything in place, including cute harem lounge areas with low tables and large embroidered cushions.

In the center of the room we place a long low table under a golden fabric canopy, and cover it with a glittery blue fabric which contrasts beautifully with the dark pink peonies in golden vases. The hotel catering completes each place setting with a golden charger and flatware.

"Is that gold for real?" Devin asks me as we busy ourselves setting the favors.

"I wouldn't be surprised. What do I know? I'm a stainless steel peasant," I say and he laughs.

We finish our work and take a last look at the room. Devin places his arm around my shoulders and smiles.

"It was worth it," he says. "This looks amazing. Did you take photos?"

"No, I didn't. Thanks for reminding me,"

I take my phone from my pocket and make tons of snaps. Devin has been helping me to make my site a whole lot more attractive and is a wizard with Photoshop. Used it to make the covers of the films he said.

"Do you want me to bring you home? We don't need to come back until ten to break down," I say.

"Let me take you to the movies. We can grab something to eat at the mall and take a walk around the shops. It's no fun staying home,"

I love the spontaneity of it and accept. I don't know if this counts as a date or two friends... are we only friends? Most likely two friends enjoying an evening.

We stroll around the mall and he's even patient enough to wait for me as I try some clothes. He lets me pick the movie and after getting the tickets we walk to the food court. I hesitate at the sight of the Biggies food counter. Gosh, this burger obsession is unhealthy!

"I know you want that. Let's get some," he holds my hand as we walk towards it.

We get a table after receiving our food order. I bite into my burger and Devin grins.

"You do love their food. How come I never noticed it before?" he says.

"I eat it often. Only you aren't around. Peyton scolds me all the time saying it's not healthy. I know it isn't, but oh God it is so delicious!"

"What does Peyton eats?"

"Salads, and then whines and almost cries when I sit with my Biggies in front of her. I think she likes the torture," I laugh.

"You are mean," he shoves a bunch of fries in his mouth.

"Oh, come on! Don't tell me you don't indulge on fast food,"

"I do... on ocassion... like three times per week," he smiles naughtily.

Devin and I continue the nonsense conversation and then head to the movie theater. I picked a comedy and I find it funnier when I hear him laughing so hard. At a certain moment, I looked at him and he was clearing his eyes from laughter tears. It was cute.

The movie ends and we are right on time back at the hotel. A few police cars are parked on the front and we feel curious. As we wait for clearance by the security gate, we come up with ridiculous theories as to what is going on. Devin enjoys a bit of gossip on occasion.

We park and enter through the suppliers door. A crowd stand on the hallway right in front of the event room and the eyes of the mom of the birthday girl widen when she sees us. I look at Devin who frowns at her.

"Tania, I'm so sorry," she says. "I will pay for all the damages,"

I don't wait for further words and run to the entrance. The room is trashed. I feel a knot in my stomach when I see our hard work destroyed.

The fabric canopy has been ripped to pieces. Almost all the wooden backdrops Devin made are broken and one of the few still whole has a dark smear on it.

"Is that poop?" I hear Devin say. "It better not be! GOD DAMMIT IT IS!"

I'm truly shocked. In the years I have owned my business, nothing like this has happened. This is the work of savages!

I make a quick calculation of how much money it will cost to replace the materials and the time spent, and a rough projection of what I've lost in future rentals. My heart aches while looking at the destruction. It isn't about the money. The client has more than enough. It is about the lack of respect to our work.

Emotions get to me and I walk out of the room and towards the van. I hear Devin talking to someone behind me, but I don't catch what it is about. I try to open the van as I reach it, but my hands tremble... from anger, from sadness.

"Come here," Devin opens his arms and hugs me while caressing my hair.

He then tilts my face to make me look at him, and his lips land softly on mine.