Chapter Thirteen: A New McQueen

The next morning soon came. The sun touched the top of Cadillac Range, and started to light up the valley. The sound of the 'Reveille' music could be heard, but was then drowned by the 'Star Spangle Banner' music again.

"Will you turn that disrespectful junk off?" Sarge demanded.

"Respect the classics, man." Filmore replied.

At Mater's Salvage Yard, the rusty tow truck was fast asleep. He then woke up a grunt. He stretched his wheels out, and groaned in relief. He drove out of his salvage yard, to find a smooth piece of black Tarmac on the ground in front of him. The road was smooth and solid, all nice and clean. The new road lead up to the orange caution flags, and Bessie was parked on the side of the road.

Doc then drove up, as he and Mater looked down the road

Doc then drove up, as he and Mater looked down the road. "He's done." Mater said slowly. "He must've finished it while we was all sleepin'."

"Good riddance." Doc sighed, then turned around, and drove off back into town, as everyone else drove up, and looked down the road.

"They're gone?" Flo asked in surprise.

"Well, we wouldn't want them to miss that race of theirs." Sarge spoke up.

Sally looked down at the road. She seemed upset about Lightning's departure, and drove away back to the motel. Mary looked the same. She felt like she might even cry. She reversed away from everyone, turned around, and drove off back into town.

Then, Sheriff started to sniff to himself. "Oh, dude. Are you crying?" Ramone asked in a teasing tone.

"No! I'm happy!" Sheriff said, blinking away what tears that might have accumulated. "I don't have to watch him every second of the day anymore! I'm glad he's gone!"

Red started to tear up and cry, then drove away, knocking down the same stack of tyres that were fixed up.

"What's wrong with Red?" McQueen asked, appearing as if from out of nowhere, along with Braedey.

"Oh, he's just sad, 'cause you both left town..." Mater began in monotone. Everyone looked over and they gasped with happiness. "...and went to your big race to win the Piston Cup that you've always dreamed about your whole life..." Lightning smiled at this, as Braedey winked to his partner. Mater still doesn't even know that they were there. "...and get that big ol' sponsor, and that fancy helicopter you was talkin' about." Mater stood there for about 5 seconds, then noticed that McQueen and Braedey were standing there. "Wait a minute!" He jumped with surprise. Everyone laughed at Mater, when he realised that Lightning and Braedey were there. "I knowed you both wouldn't leave without saying goodbye."

"Of course we wouldn't, Mater." Braedey smiled.

"What are you two doin' here? You're gonna miss your race." Sheriff asked the two. "Don't worry." He turned on his siren light, and started to drive down the road. "I'll give you a police escort, and we'll make up the time."