Chapter 29

Edward's POV:

I watched with slight concern as Dixie started to walk back into the kitchen from the porch and walked right into the side counter. She grabbed her hip that she hit and said ow as she rubbed it before sticking out her tongue at Emmett as he laughed at her. She sat back down by Emmett with Alice on her other side before turning to look at him.

"You know......I didn't like you much that first night." (D)

"I could have guessed as much. How bout now little Dixie?" (Em)

"I think you're ok, but you're still just too big." (D)

"That's not what Rose thinks." (Em)

I heard everyone mentally moan as he said that while smiling, while Rose smacked him on the back of the head again. I watched as Dixie sat there for a moment before what he meant hit her, she stuck her tongue out at him again before speaking to him. Her thoughts still jumping from subject to subject but still interesting to read.

"That ain't no way to talk in front of ladies." (D)

I bet he's the one always thinking about sex, and Eddie's had to live with him for so many years. It's a wonder he's not crazy. Or maybe he is, I would be if I heard voices all the time. I have trouble ignoring the one that I already have I can't imagine having more. I wonder when Seth will be here. Momma's bout to burn the grits if she don't stir them but I don wanna correct her cooking. Stir the grits momma, stir em, stir em, stir em.

"Esme, you should stir the grits." (Ed)

I saw her look at me with a question but I only inclined my head towards Dixie who smiled and agreed with me. I saw her yawn again a bit as she leaned on Alice this time and I realize that she doesn't know that she's leaning on anyone, not that they mind. We all heard her start to hum and I saw Esme smile as she stirred the grits before taking them off the heat.

"Dixie, what are you humming?" (E)

"A song from a while ago." (D)

"Well would you like to sing it now?" (C)

She tilted her head for a moment before she shrugged and began singing the song that she had been thinking, mid-way through what I suppose was the chorus. It's a song that I've never heard before and the sadness that leaks into it from her voice is easily sensed by everyone, but especially Jasper.

"I wait for my love to return to me beneath this hanging oak, for it was here that our last words of love were spoke. If my love not return to me I fear it means his end, and if that's so then I know my heart will never mend.

Pray me to God that safe he will stay, for if he lose his life then from this tree I'll sway. I cannot live without him nor would I attempt to try, for would the sun still survive without the blessed sky.

I'll wait for the return of my love beneath this hanging tree, for it was here that his departure brought pain and sorrow to me. Oh pray me to God that safe he will stay, for if he lose his life then from this tree I'll sway." (D)

"That's lovely dear, you have a beautiful voice." (E)

"Where did you learn that song?" (Jas)

"Jesse and I wrote it one night after a few drinks, while Frank played around on an old fiddle of his." (D)

"You wrote it?" (Em)

"Jesse did most of it, I was only the singer at the time." (D)

"Well it's beautiful dear, as is your voice." (E)

I saw her smile before she looked as if she was thinking again, leaning against Emmett this time with his arm slung around her shoulders, but she doesn't even notice it. Is that why he kissed me earlier? I know he said it was cause he thought I was amazing but I had just drank his blood and he kissed me. That ain't normal for a wolf to do if vampires who drink human blood are natural enemies right? I wonder where Alice got that top, it's really pretty and it shows off her figure perfectly.