Chapter 20- Poor Mice

"Why, that's my slipper!" Sherria called out obnoxiously, interrupting Rufus.

Rufus glanced up from the parchment paper he was reading, surveying her with dark emerald eyes.

"Ah, but I like that, it's my slipper!" Sherry called a moment after, nodding her head in agreement to her own statement.

The short man paled, holding the slipper on the cushion closer to him. The sisters preyed closer, like a predator hunting his- erghm- glass prey.

"Cindery slipper! Cindery slipper!" a mouse squeaked, almost jumping out of the cup it was hiding in. Thankfully, Virgo could pull Lyra back before she was seen.

"Girls! Girls! Your manners," Minerva said calmly, placing a hand on the large necklace she was wearing at her collarbone. Her eyes were glaring, despite her cool stature. "Many pardons, your grace. Please continue."

Rufus nodded, and started again. "...It is upon this day decreed that a quest to be instituted throughout the length and breadth of our domain..."

Virgo nudged at Lyra to get out of the cup. Both mice noticed that Minerva was leaning against the cabinet where they were hiding, and they finally made a move to grab their objective. The bronze key.

"...The sole and express purpose of said quest is as follows to wit: that every single maiden in our..."

They slinked over to her pocket, before Virgo promptly pushed Lyra in. The first thing she noticed were the soft silk walls, and the second thing was Minerva's shiny fingertips dawning down on her.

"...beloved kingdom shall try upon her foot this aforementioned slipper of glass..."

Lyra bit back a squeak as the blank fingernails scraped against the stem of the metal. She could practically feel the arrogant smirk on her face, before the stepmother gave the bow one last tap of triumph.

Her hand extracted itself, and Virgo almost sighed at the fact that she didn't see her.

"...and should one be found whose foot will properly fit said slipper, such maiden..."

Without further ado, Lyra pushed the bottom of the key upwards, balancing it on her stomach so it peeked out.

Since the pocket was touching the ledge of the dresser, it was easy for Virgo to ensure the key was on the marbled plate.

As Lyra scrambled up, the key was pushed behind a cup in the far back.

"...will be acclaimed the object of this search and the one and only true love of his Royal Highness, our Noble Prince."

He read through the proclamation fluently without taking a breath, like he had done it many times before. Which he had, since he'd been to every single maiden's house in the kingdom.

"You must be quite fatigued, your grace. After all that searching in a single night, may I offer you a cup of tea?"

Minerva spoke to him like a real lady would, showing she definitely had more than just practice.

Her fingers went for the cup containing Virgo, lifting it up in the air. She took the silver tea pot as well, spout pointed down and almost impaling Virgo. The mouse had to scramble to the side, but when a single drop of liquid hung to the spout, she almost gulped humanly.

"No thank you, Lady Orland," Rufus smoothly declined, and Minerva nodded.

Virgo gave a silent prayer to the weird man, as the teapot- who looked like Godzilla to the mouse- faded from view.