C H A P T E R N I N E

I made my way to Maiya's house and knocked on the door. No one answered so I tried to see if it was locked and it opened.
"Hello?" I call out as I open the door.
"I'm in my room." I hear Maiya call out. I make my way up to her room and see her sitting on her bed messing with her hands.
"What's going on?" I say in a funny cool way leaning against her doorway.
"I'm pregnant." She says looking at me. I just made disbelieving confused faces motioning at her.
"You're-you're pregnant?" I asked confused sitting down on her bed.
"And it's probably twins." she says looking at me again. my mouth was open and my eyes were big. I didn't even know what to say.
"I just really need someone to hold me right now." She says taking my hand. I just look at her hand on mine. "Please?"  I just shook my head yes, but pulled my hand away.
"It's all going to be ok." I say whispering getting up off her bed.
"What?" I shake my head in agreement after she says this. "Dexter what are you doing?" she asks. I just back out of her room slowly.
"Dexter?" she says as I turn around and start walking toward her front door with my hands out to my side.
"Dexter!" I hear her call to me as I walk down the stairs and go out the front door. I feel like I couldn't breathe. It felt like everything had slowed down tremendously and I felt like passing out. I didn't even get in my car to leave I just started walking down the street. Somehow I ended up making it to Eddy's house and he and Tony were sitting in the yard.
"Dude." Tony says taking his sunglasses off looking at me.
"Hey guys." I say panting holding my sides.
"Hey man, hold on a sec." Tony said getting up putting a hand on me.
"You want me to ask?" he says "I'm not going to ask. Ed, don't ask." he says looking at Eddy. "No one's asking, we're making a pact." He says "Alright what, what happened to you?" he said looking at me.
"I got a girl pregnant." I say motioning with my hand taking it off my side a second and putting it back on.
"What?" Tony said disbelieving "No you didn't." he said continuing on "Did you really get a girl pregnant?" He asked.
"It's twins." I say with my eyes wide.
"Twins?" the both asked shocked. Tony blew through his mouth.
"Hey, hey,hey, this is fixable." He says putting his hand on my shoulder again. "This is fixable, they've got abortions for this kind of thing."
"Dude." Eddy said looking at Tony.
"What?" Tony said "Two kids? That's game over, man. He won't even be able to go to college." He says to Eddy.
"Hey guys, I'm not doing so good."I say laying down with my arms and legs out.
"Come on, sit up, sit up." Tony says helping me sit up in the grass. "Hey, deep breaths, deep breaths." he says "You got this."
"I can't just tell her to get an abortion." I say with my hands on my legs breathing.
"Sure you can." Tony said "You do it just like that."
"Yeah, but then she'll hate me." I say.
"Oh man, you really love her don't you?" Tony said shaking his head.
"Yeah, I do." I say. "I'm not going to force my will on her." I say shaking my head no. "It should be her decision." I say agreeing with myself shaking my head.
"Her decision to...get an abortion." Tony says motioning with his hands.
"I mean right?" I say throwing my hands up agreeing with Tony. "From a purely rational standpoint?"
"Yes, but is she rational?" Tony asked "I mean, this is a woman we're talking about."
"Yes, but a woman of science." Eddy said to Tony.
"Yes." Tony agreed.
"But I think she's Christian too." I say making a sound with my teeth.
"Ugh, that's not good." Tony says looking at Eddy.
"Yes, but she did have sex with you." Eddy said.
"Was she leaning anyway when she told you?" Tony asked.
"I don't know, I wasn't really listening." I say "I had to get out of there."
"Wait, what?" Tony said shaking his head looking shocked "You just left?"
"Yeah." I say
"You just left, right after she told you?" he asked looking at me like I was stupid.
"I should probably go talk to her." I say getting up. I made way back to Maiya's house and knocked on the door. Her brother Robbie answered.
"Is Maiya home?" I asked
"She's at dance." He says and I thanked him and got in my car. I drove to her dance practice and found her in her ballet class. I walk in and her instructor was talking to everyone sitting down and everyone looked at me.
"Yes?" Her dance instructor asked me.
"Sorry." I say motioning with my hands and make my way over to where Maiya was.
"Excuse me?" Her dance instructor says looking at me. Maiya was looking at me and watched me as I got closer to her.
"Sorry about that, sorry." I whisper as I walk through her dance peers. "Excuse me." I whisper to the girl sitting next to her and I sit down next to Maiya and look at her and she looked at me. I take her in an embrace.
"I'm sorry I didn't hold you, when you asked me to hold you." I say in her ear. She looked like she was about to cry. We sat there just hugging each other while everyone else was looking at us.
"Uh, rehearsal is over." Her instructor said and everyone got up to leave.
We went to get some frozen yogurt to try to talk about things.
"Okay, can we talk for real now?" Maiya asked looking at me.
"About what now?" I say trying to be funny, but she didn't find it funny.
"Kidding." I say going back to spooning my frozen yogurt.
"So what are you thinking?" She asked me.
"About what?" I say trying to gather my thoughts.
"Stop it." She says.
"I have a lot of thoughts right now. So a specific question would help." I say putting down my yogurt.
"Do you think I should get an abortion?" she asked.
"Look, I say it's...it's your body, or whatever." I say motioning at her.
"Dexter, I wanna know how you actually feel." She says with her hands getting a little frustrated.
"I think you should.." I start to say "do what you feel is the best, most rational decision." I say "And I just want you to think of me as someone who will support you, not matter what." I say taking her hands.
"You're sure?" she asks me.
"Absolutely." I say back to her.
"Then I guess I've made up my mind." She says crying a little bit. "Are you free this weekend?" she asks "I just don't know if I can talk to my dad by myself."
"I've got some things I need to study for this weekend, but after that, yes." I say shaking my head.
"Do you think we could talk to your parents also?" She asks getting a little more happy.
"I just feel that the earlier we get everyone on board the better."
"I don't see why not." I say holding her hands. I couldn't believe that she wanted to keep them. I assumed that she would want to get an abortion, but I was wrong.