Chapter 4

AN: Thank you to all who are reading this story! Okay, so a picture of Effy is on the side. I know, some of you may know her. She's Kaya Scodelario and she plays Effy on the show Skins. I really wanted her to play Effy anyway! Isn't she gorgeous? And I think her eyes are amazing, which is perfect for the story! Thanks for the votes and comments! Hope you like this chapter!  xx A 

"We should like write a big SOS on the sand or something." Harry suggested. For the past hour we've been trying to think of ways for us to be saved. I mean, we wouldn't want to stay here forever.

We all sat down under some coconut trees facing the shore line. The sun was starting to set, and it was getting darker. My mom probablly thinks I'm in the library. I remembered that I brought my phone. I grabbed my bag and started to rummage for it. I found it and saw that there was no signal. I threw my phone on the sand. "Good for nothing phone." I muttered. 

Liam chuckled beside me, "Take it easy. Don't you know? Being stranded involves losing signal. It happens in all the movies." 

The other boys snickered, also Louis who was sitting at the far end from me. Since our small talk by the shore line earlier, we haven't talked again yet. He promised that he would explain eveything. Baby steps, I kept thinking to myself.

"Am I the only one who wants to get out of this island?" I asked seriously. 

A hand landed on my shoulders, patting it. I looked to my left and saw that it was Zayn. His touch was warm, and when our eyes met, I was captivated by those peircing eyes. No wonder my sister likes him.  "Chill, they will come back for us." 

On the corner of my eye, I saw Louis flinch. I just shrugged it off and said, "Yeah, and you said .. "We're One Direction they wouldn't leave without us"  And look where that got us." 

He just pouted and said, "But .... that doesn't change the fact that I am adorable." He grinned. 

"What's the connection between that and .. never mind." I said giving up. I chuckled realizing it's hard to be serious around these guys. 

Silence dawned until Harry spoke up. "So, let's just do the SOS thing and maybe build a fire next to it?" 

Louis nodded, so did Zayn and Liam. Niall interjected, "And let's roast some marshmallows!!" 

"Okay Niall let me just pop some out from my hair." Harry said sarcastically. I laughed imagining a marshmallow hiding in Harry's curly hair. Harry saw me giggle and he shot me his signature smirk. 

"And for the mean time, let's have fun and have an island adventure!" Harry exclaimed. We all looked at him like he was a lost boy in Never Land. "What? Our situation could be worse you know, at least this isn't like a Titanic thing." 

"I'll never let you go, Harry." Liam immitated Rose in Titanic. We all laughed at Liam's fake girl voice. 

"Harry's right, it could have been worse. I mean, what if you guys found me dead earlier?" I said laughing.

I then found myself the only one laughing. All of them were looking quite uncomfortable, my eyes then landed on Louis. Out of all, he was the one who didn't react the most. His eyes were cold, and stern. He eyed me and turned away and stood up. 

"Not funny." He said staring down at me. I felt scared, hurt and ashamed. He then started to walk deeper in the forest, leaving me dumbfounded with the other boys. So this time it's about the joke? Don't I do everything right?

"I thought he could take a joke .. " I said to the guys. "I'm sorry.." I started to say. 

"Don't apologize, you still don't know .." Zayn started to say. 

"That's right, because I don't know!! I don't know why he can't look at me with out flinching!! I don't know why he acts the way he does around me!! I don't know becaue no one would tell me!!" I announced. I didn't even notice that I stood up. The boys were all looking apologetic at me. I rubbed my temple, very frustrated and tired at the same time. 

"Sorry, I just need to .. cool down." I turned around and started to make my way to the shore line, walking the opposite direction. I removed my sandals and left it near one of the coconut trees. While walking, I kept wishing that all of this was just a dream. I felt the cool breeze hit me, and I suddenly missed my mom and Emily. God, I should have just stayed close to them. 

And of course, the whole Louis situation. Why am I so affected anyway? Because you have a crush on him, duh. Said my inner voice. Crush, huh? Or more? Maybe it's the connection I felt with him the first day we spent time together. Or the time he held my hand, and I felt safe. Ugh, I never liked this having a crush falling in love blah thing. I just, do not believe in it. 

"Effy, wait up!" Someone shouted behind me. I turned around and I saw Harry jogging towards me. I stopped walking and waited for him to catch up. When he was right next to me, we started walking in the direction I started. 

"Sorry about all of that." He said. 

"Harry, I just need an explanation. It's just, so confusing and bothering." I said.

We saw some giant rocks on the shore line, waves hitting it. I grinned and so did Harry. He gave me a boost so I could sit on one of the rocks. "God you're heavy." He said.

Upon reaching the top of the rock, I looked down and gasped at him. "You did not just say that." I said crossing my arms at him. 

He grinned and said, "Kidding. Pull me up." He extended his arm, and I helped him up. He sat down beside me, and now we were facing the ocean. 

"Now, explain, Styles." I say smirking at him. 

He exhaled before saying, "Hazel Adams." I turned my head and I noticed he was staring at me. A pained expression flashed on his face. He then turned his head to face the ocean. 

"Hazel Adams was Louis' girlfriend." He continued. 

"They were together for three years. Hazel was Lou's happiness, his best friend. He never stops talking about her, you know? It's kind of annoying, but hey that's love." Harry said now looking at me, like waiting for me to ask a question. I actually got tons in my mind, but I nodded to let him know to continue. 

He then sighed, "2 years ago, she was diagnosed with lukemia." 

I gasped, my hand on my heart. So that explains what Harry said about Lou not being happy for a long time. 

Harry continued, "It was tough, for all of us. For them, for Lou. He visited her everyday in the hospital. He tried to force her to take the treatment, but she refused. Lou was very upset, of course. It was hard, hearing him sob everynight, it pained all of us." 

"Then came the day that Hazel passed away. We were getting ready for a concert when Lou received the call. He freaked out, threw instruments across the stage. He broke down, literally. He was screaming, screaming that he didn't do enough and stuff like that. He was angry, saying that why didn't she wait for him. And of course, he was devasted."  

A tear left my left eye. I couldn't imagine Louis being like that. More tears were starting to flow, and Harry noticed. He then wiped my tears with his hands. 

"I never seen Louis upset 'til that day. The next year after that, he had a hard time to .. move on. He wasn't as, energetic as before. But he puts up a great front for his fans." 

After wiping my tears, I asked, "What does this all have to do with me? Why couldn't he look at me? Why does it feel like I'm a disturbing figure to him?" 

Harry then grabbed his wallet from his pocket. He got out a picture from the inside and handed it to me. I saw a picture of the guys hanging out in a living room. I scanned the picture, and I saw Louis sitting beside a girl. Louis was looking at the girl, while the girl was looking at the camera. I brought the picture closer to my eyes. 

My eyes widened. I gasped and dropped the picture. 

"Now you understand why he can't look at you with out acting the way he does.." Harry trailed off. 

I whispered to myself, "I look exactly like her."