Chapter 9

First off,  I'd like to thank you all for being so patient with me on this story. I have been so busy lately that writing hasn't been my priority. But here's this chapter for you lovely people,  and I will try to publish more for you soon.
~The Author

It's not that Dean doesn't want to hold hands with Cas,  because he definitely does,  it's just the whole "public display of affection" thing isn't really his cup of tea. Though he can tell Cas would very much like to hold his hand. Instead they both suffice with Cas wrapping a wing around him.

Charlie skips ahead of them, pushing the cart.  It's slowly being filled with beer, junk food, and everything in between.  Dean finds it quite overwhelming seeing all the people's souls around him at once,  but if he tries hard enough he can tune it out.

"Damn, Cas, how the hell do you handle all of this?  It's so overwhelming."

"I'm an angel, Dean, all I've ever been able to see are souls. It's the same as you growing up only able to see their faces." Cas explains simply.

"Dean come here and tell me which of these steaks would be better." Charlie calls, stopping Dean from saying anything further. Dean sighs and goes over to her, helping her choose just the right ones for dinner tonight. When Dean turns back, he finds Cas to no longer be where he left him.

"Cas?" Dean glances around, Cas is no where to be seen. He frowns and starts searching the aisles. He finds Cas down in the bakery aisles talking to a young guy who is leaning against the shelf.  As Dean gets closer he can hear what is being said.

"If you give me your number, maybe I could give you a call and take you out some time?" The guy asks confidently. "A man as good looking as you deserves to be taken out to the nicest of places." Dean frowns, partly because he is not happy with someone hitting on his angel,  and also because he doesn't like the looks of this guy, he seems sketchy and his soul seems off somehow. 

"You know I always thought the same thing." Dean slings his arm around Cas' waist and pulls him close.

"Oh, didn't realize, sorry." The guys sneers and leaves. 

"All I did was ask about pie." Cas has that disgruntled look that Dean finds oh so adorable. Dean also sees in his hands are two different pies.

"It's alright, Cas, I'm not even worried about him." He kisses Cas softly. "And I would prefer both pies." Dean pulls him back to the cart, keeping his arm around his waist. Back at the cart, Charlie is flirting shamelessly with a beautiful woman. The woman's soul is bright,  and seems free, wild. Dean likes it, her soul seems to go well with Charlie's.

"Well, Dorothy,  I'd love to take you out for drinks so I can hear more about your adventures." Charlie says flirtatiously.

"I would enjoy that. I'll be sure to call." Dorothy waves her phone then saunters off. 

"Damn,  Charlie, picking up babes in the frozen aisle? You have game." Dean grins.

"Damn right I do,  no one can resist this." She laughs jokingly. "Now let's pay for all these things and get back to the bunker." She pushes the cart to the register, Dean and Cas following close behind.

Dean pays for the groceries with one of his many stolen credit cards then they head out to the car. Cas stays  close to Dean the whole time. As soon as they're in the car Dean holds his hand tightly then they head home.

*   *   *

As soon as they leave the bunker,  Gabriel takes Sam up to heaven and to his office. 

"Make yourself comfortable, Samsquatch, I've got a few things to deal with,  then we can do some research." Gabriel snaps his fingers and the lights dim,  music starts playing, and food and alcohol appear on the far table. 

"You're actually going to work?" Sam raises an eyebrow. Then he glances at Gabriel in confusion as "Pony" by Ginuwine starts playing.

"Believe it or not,  since being in charge of this place I actually take certain things seriously." Gabriel smirks,  ignoring Sam's look of confusion. He moves to pop open a beer for Sam, moving to him quickly and handing it to him.  "Get comfortable, I'll be back in a bit." Gabriel grins, standing far too close to Sam than necessary. Though unlike his brother,  Gabriel understands the concept of personal space, he just wants to make Sam squirm.

Sam clears his throat and steps back, moving over to the couch and sitting. 

"See you soon, Samantha." Gabriel twiddles his fingers and skips out, sparing one glance as he shut the door. 

Sam remains on the couch sipping his beer as he waits for Gabriel to get done with his errands.  As time passes the songs change,  each one slow and at bit erotic.  Sam gets the impression that Gabriel has more than just researching planned. 

It's maybe twenty minutes to half an hour before Gabriel comes sauntering back in. "You haven't moved an inch Sammy-boy." Gabriel comments, raking his eyes over him. 

"I was-uh" Sam clears his throat. "I was waiting for you." He glances down at his beer,  picking at the label.  He doesn't need to look to know that Gabriel is smirking at him.

Suddenly the couch dips a bit as Gabriel sits beside Sam.  "We need to stop this." Gabriel says. 

"Stop what?  We haven't done anything." Sam looks at him. 

"You know what I'm talking about,  this whole denying each other. I can feel it Sam,  the yearning. Hell,  every angel can feel it in a hundred mile radius." Gabriel moves closer as he talks. 

"You've been feeling it since I trapped you in TV land, you were denying it then,  weren't you?" Gabriel grins.

"That's not- I don't know what you're talking about." Sam quickly downs his beer. 

"Alright sure,  but I doubt you'll have the same answer by the end of the night." Gabriel hops up and snaps his fingers, Sam's laptop appearing in his lap. 

"I temporarily made all of heaven's files available to you,  let's start looking." Gabriel studies him as Sam starts clicking in his laptop.  He knows Sam wants him just as much as he does,  but he can wait to get his man.