Chapter Twenty-one

Episode FIVE
Welcome to Fairyland

Chapter Twenty-one
Irene

2:03 a.m

They have been arguing all night. Back and forth, back and forth the voices go. I sit on my bed hugging my pillow, and listening, listening, listening. I would fall asleep if I wasn't so scared they would make a decision and I won't be able to make them think twice.

What if he's not who he says he is? How can he be an alien? What if I die while travelling with him?

My parents have brought up some very valid points about The Doctor, but I just can't believe that this could all be a scam. Why would anyone bother? If he wanted to kidnap me, or hurt me, wouldn't he have done so already?

These arguments limit them slightly, but theirs limit me and soon it's clear that no one is going to win this.

Tony sits in the corner of my room in my beanbag, absently flipping through a Webster's Dictionary. Once when he was in ninth grade, I bet my brother that he couldn't write a book report on the dictionary. Long story short, I was out five dollars by the end of the month.

Dad finally sits down on my desk chair, and rubs his forehead. "Why are you so determined, Irene?" He snaps. Usually my father isn't quite so short with me, but it's been a long night for all of us. "You've only known him for a few days!"

"Because he's my friend! And in those few days, he saved me three times!" We've already hashed over every detail of where I've gone and what I've done since I met The Doctor. They have heard all of what I have to say and vice versa, but we still can't seem to come to a conclusion. I rub my eyes.

Weakly, I break the silence. "I'm determined because what other chance will I ever have? To do this? I mean, I'm going to die anyway. The world will move on, but maybe if I do this, I can make my life worth something before I lose it."

My dad objects, "You don't know you'll die, Irene."

"Dad, I Googled my diagnosis. I know how bad it is. Don't lie to me."

"Sweetie, the world won't just move on," Mom says, her eyes damp.

"Yes, it will. Maybe not at first, but it will move on and so will everyone living on it. Don't you see, my life doesn't mean anything while I'm here! I want to do something good before I go. I want to save someone, blow something up, live."

"Now you listen, young lady," my dad glares, standing up. "Your life means absolutely everything to us. You won't be forgotten. If you tell me one more time that the world will forget you, or move on, or whatever it is you want to say, then I will keep you home without a question. No one can save anyone with that mentality."

I'm cowering away from the icy lecture until I realize what it could mean. Scarcely daring to hope, I lift my eyes to reach his. "Are you saying that you'll let me go?"

"Only if you stop telling yourself the world will forget about you." Dad sits down next to me, and I sink towards the crater he makes in the mattress. "Even if you live under a rock for however long you have, we will never forget you."

I wrap my arms around his neck, and shut my eyes, fat tears spilling down my cheeks at an alarming rate.

"We can't let you go alone, though," Mom says hesitantly. "I could take off work." Since Mom works from home most of the time, her taking off wouldn't be a big deal. But I know that with all the treatments, they'll have to tug to make ends meet. I can't take more money away from them. I would rather just stay home.