Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven
Irene

The Doctor has gone to the medical bay to make sure the cured CyberMentals are really themselves. Mr. Rye is playing Chess with me, and Oswald is sitting in the chair to my left, eating a portion of what looks like mashed potatoes and green beans. Mr. Rye stands up from the chess game.

"Would you like something to eat, Irene?"

It's then I realize that I haven't eaten since the lunch before I visited Taylor in the hospital. If I were home, it would probably be long after dinner time by now. My stomach grumbles. I nod.

"Yes, please."

He gives a smile to Oswald, and then disappears through a door, presumably to get me food.

"I'm glad you've gotten better," I tell Oswald. She nods at me; she still has no voice. I look at the ring on her left hand. "Are you engaged?"

Another nod, only a little shyer this time.

"That must be fun."

She shrugs. I stand up, and turn to look at the big window far above a Christmas tree. The blue that envelopes it is far more calming now that I'm not straining to see a giant, deadly fish.

"I'm glad we came here," I tell her. "Even though it's been like living in a horror movie. The Doctor thinks I'm not happy we came here. Do you think I should tell him? That I'm happy, I mean."

I look over at her, and she's smiling at me. She bobs her head up and down, and takes another bite of green beans.

I look back up at the blue window. "Wish it could last."

Something clatters to the ground behind me. I turn around to look. Oswald is standing, her eyes huge with fear. Behind her, a tall woman with straight blonde hair holds what looks like a shard of broken glass to Oswald's neck. She's wearing a long black dress that seems to melt into the floor around her like putty. Oswald's tray of food is turned upside down on the floor beside them.

"Hey! Take your filthy hands off of her!" I cry, running forward without a second thought. The woman lifts a single finger to her lips, and then disappears into a ray of green light with Oswald.

"Mr. Rye!" I scream. "Mr. Rye! Help!"

He bursts back into the room in about fifteen seconds, and he's been running.

"She's gone!" I cry, "The lady took her! Where did she go?"

Mr. Rye sees the overturned lunch tray on the ground. I see a sliver of panic cross his face. "What lady?" He asks me.

"I don't know!" I answer. "I haven't seen her before!"

He holds his wristwatch close to his mouth. "Captain Chrysanthemum, we have some breach. Someone's taken Oswald."

"What?" Comes the reply over a little speaker.

"Irene saw it happen. Where are you?"

"In the med bay. With The Doctor. We're on our way."

***