six

Knock. Knock. Knock.

'That'll be your nonna.' Nick says softly as he places toby in his bassinet and glances at Demi who's fast asleep in bed. Making his way over to her he gently runs his fingers through her hair causing her to groan slightly.

'What time is it?' She mumbles sleepily and he shakes his head.

'Just after one. I didn't mean to wake you. My parents are here; you can sleep for a bit longer?' He says.

'I want to introduce them to Toby.' She replies.

'Go downstairs and let them in; I'll bring Toby down in a few minutes once I've got myself sorted.' She says and he kisses the top of her head. He leaves the room and she slowly climbs out of bed.

'Alright Toby, are you ready to go meet your nonna?' She says softly. Leaning into the bassinet she lifts the baby into her arms and gently kisses the top of her head. She can hear Nick's parents downstairs causing her to smile as she thinks about how her own parents reacted to meeting Tobias.

'Lets make sure mommy looks half decent.' Demi says making her way over to the dressing table and glancing at her reflection in the mirror; her hair is pulled up in a messy bun and she looks absolutely exhausted.

'Well I guess this will do.' She mumbles shrugging her shoulders. She keeps Tobias cradled against her chest and begins to make her way downstairs.

'Now I need you both not to freak out. This was a shock, it was for all of us but I'm happy, I'm really happy.'

Stopping at the bottom of the stairs she can't help but smile as she hears Nick telling his parents how happy he is. Glancing in the living room door she smiles as he nods his head at head and she begins to make her way inside.

'Mom, dad... Meet Tobias.' Nick says and both his parents turn to look at Demi.

'Oh my goodness... Is that a baby?' Denise says, her eyes wide as Demi moves closer.

'Your grandson; he was a surprise baby. Didn't make his existence known until he was here.' Nick replies. Denise gasps as tears fill her eyes and Demi places the baby in her arms.

'He's beautiful.' Denise almost whispers.

______

'How are you feeling, Demi?' Denise asks cradling Tobias against her shoulder.

'I'm pretty sore but I'm doing alright considering.' Demi replies shrugging her shoulders.

'You really didn't know? How is that possible, Demi? Are you sure you didn't just ignore the signs?' Denise asks.

'Mom, we didn't know.' Nick replies and Denise shakes her head.

'I just don't understand it all, Nick. A woman knows her own body, any normal woman would know she's pregnant.' Denise says as Demi glances down at the floor.

'I didn't have any signs that I was pregnant. I didn't put on any weight, I didn't skip a period, I had no sickness or movement; nothing. I had no idea I was pregnant until I was involved in a car crash and they had to perform an emergency caesarean. I had surgery just over a week ago, surgery that I am still recovering from. I don't need to sit here and let you tell me I'm not normal for not knowing I'm pregnant. It happens now give me my baby.' Demi says standing up and putting her hands out to Denise.

'Demi, I-' Denise begins and Demi shakes her head.

'Give me my baby, Denise.' Demi says. Sighing Denise places Tobias back in Demi's arms and watches as the brunette leaves the room.

'You are so out of order, mom. I think you should leave now.' Nick says and Denise shakes her head.

'I didn't mean to upset her.' Denise replies and Nick laughs slightly.

'Could've fooled me. You can let yourself out.' Nick says.