Ch. 46 - Thanks, I Guess

"Flynn, will you please be careful? We can't be spilling gravy all over Elliott and Evelyn's apartment building!" Nora calls back to her boyfriend who is slowly walking up the flight of stairs.

"I am being careful, babe!" Flynn snaps back, glancing over his shoulder at me to roll his eyes.

I give him a thumbs up and continue walking at an even slower pace than him. Evidently, I'm not too excited to go to this Thanksgiving party. Half of the people there I haven't seen in years, and it's bound to be awkward for everyone involved.

Also, I don't know how well I'll be able to handle seeing Elliott and Evelyn being so couple-y. It's hard coming face-to-face with something you could've had, but you walked away from, even when it was for the best.

"Ivy, can you get the door for us?" Nora asks, her hands filled with plates of desserts.

I move in front of Flynn to get to the door of Elliott's apartment. My hand stays on the doorknob, limp. I really don't want to go inside. How can I face everyone I abandoned? I'm definitely not ready to look at all of Elliott and Evelyn's cute photographs on the walls. This was a horrible idea.

"Ivy, my hand is cramping!" Flynn complains. "Open the door for Christ's sake!"

Just as I open the door, Flynn loses his grip on the gravy and drops half of the container on the floor of the entrance to Elliott's apartment and the other half on me.

"You always did know how to make an entrance, Ivy Lynch!"

I click my tongue, staring down at my gravy covered pants and glancing up at Jake Acker who is on his way for a bear hug, despite the fallen gravy. "Hi, Jake."

He pulls away from the hug and looks at the floor then up at Flynn. "Hey, McClean, maybe you should clean this up?"

"Oh, funny. Clean jokes. It's not like I have ever heard one of those before!" Flynn mutters angrily as he storms past Jake to find something to clean the mess up.

"Oh my gosh. Elliott, Evelyn, I am so sorry about this," Nora exclaims as she leaps over the gravy to place her plates on the table.

Evelyn shakes her head. "No worries, Nor!"

Before I have time to cringe at Evelyn giving my sister a nickname, I am pulled by the arm and being led into a bedroom. Mrs. Kennedy is already explaining to me about how she leaves an extra pair of pants at Elliott's place in case she spills or, most usually, one of the kids spill on her.

"These should fit you," she says and hands me a pair of brown capris. "They might not go so well with that sweater of yours, but they're better than your gravy-covered jeans; that's for sure!"

"Thank you," I reply.

"Oh, of course." She smiles and pulls me in for a hug that isn't as awkward as I imagined. "It's so nice seeing you here, Ivy. You look so happy, honey." She pats my hand before leaving the room.

I smile and lock the door to change my clothes. Knowing the Kennedy family, anyone could walk in if I'm not careful. The pants are baggy on my legs and most definitely don't go with my sweater. So much for impressing Elliott. Not that I'm trying to impress him.

I'm happy he's with Evelyn! They seem so happy. With a happy friendsgiving party and a happy apartment with happy photos all along the walls!