Ch. 17 - The Neville Longbottoms and Cedric Diggorys and Dean Thomases

I hate myself but I also love myself so you're welcome for this

I wake up naturally to the sound of waves, nearly forgetting that I had spent the night at the beach with Elliott and Flynn. Rather than being on a pillow, my head rests on Elliott's chest, which bobs up-and-down as he breathes. I can't help but blush when I realize I fell asleep in his arms.

As I lift his arm to escape from his hold, Elliott stirs in his sleep. His eyes shut tightly before relaxing once again. I let out a sigh of relief when he doesn't wake up. Flynn is also still in a deep sleep, faint snores coming from his mouth.

I check my phone for the time, seeing it's around ten. We probably went to bed at three or four in the morning last night, tired conversations lasting too long. I have a few texts from Addison about when they'll be home, the most updated time is seven-thirty tonight.

Pulling my knees up to my chest, I look out at the ocean. My mind immediately goes back to that striking moment last night when I admitted I had never fallen in love, and so did Elliott.

Not that it is much of a surprise, I've never had a boyfriend before. My job took up too much of my time, similarly to how I couldn't make close friends. Of course I've always wanted a boyfriend, someone who loves me as much as I love him, someone to hold me closely and tell me I'm beautiful. There aren't many people who wouldn't want that in their lives.

I glance over at Elliott for a moment, my stomach tightening at the thought of him ever loving me. He does something to my insides, like water to the Wicked Witch of the West. I tried to deny my feelings for him since we had that first sleepover. There is something so addicting about his conversation, his laughter, his whole being. God, I'm such a fool for him.

It's all so stupid, really. There is no way that a relationship could ever happen between the two of us. For one, a guy like Elliott wouldn't ever have romantic feelings for a girl like me. He is meant for the beautiful, tan model girlfriends like Carter. I'm the meatloaf to her filet mignon. There I go with the foolishness again, comparing myself to food.

Secondly, if Elliott did actually ever like me, we'd never be able to do anything about it. His mom would fire me in an instant if she found out about our relationship. I can't afford to lose my job, my money for college, all for a boy. Even if he is a really, really cute boy.

"Hey," Elliott says in a groggy voice when he wakes up, holding himself up with his arms. "How long have you been up?"

"Just a few minutes," I answer. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, I did," he says, giving me a lasting smile, his eyes on mine.

I shoot him a closed-mouth smile and look away immediately. "Good."

"Want to bury Flynn's body in the sand?" he asks casually.

Rolling my eyes, I can't help but say, "I guess."

Elliott starts digging a hole next to where Flynn is sound asleep and swaddled in a blanket. I help him dig, moving the sand to a pile on the right. Soon enough, there's a hole just the right size for Flynn's tall body. Next, we unwrap him from the blanket. I have to hold in my laughter when he carries on in his deep sleep even after that.

I grab his upper half and Elliott grabs his legs as we lift him into our makeshift hole. We move all the emptied sand back onto his body. There are still a few gapes that we have to fill, packing the sand tightly against his body. I did enjoy packing the sand on his abs; sue me. We cover every area of his body except his head, yet he is still sound asleep.