Chapter One: Work

"Hey! Sion!" I turn my head. My co-worker, Gail, is running towards me with a paper in her hand.

"What's up?" I ask, a goofy smile on my face.

"I just got promoted!" She shoves the paper into my hands. I smile. She's gonna be a personal assistant to our CEO, Mr. Kaske.

"Congrats. Tonight I'll take you to your favorite restaurant to celebrate!"

We share a hug. She looks excited. "Gosh, I can't believe that I actually got the job... I've been working really hard." She sits on the corner of my desk.

I'm just about to answer her, when the phone rings.

I pick up the receiver and answer in my best professional voice, "Hello. This is Sion Kissne, how may I help you?"

A gruff man's voice comes over the other end. "Can you patch me through to your manager? It's urgent."

"Yes Sir. I'm patching our call now." I press the eight button on the phone and hang up. 

"Your job is so easy, Sion." Gail sighs and pulls up the chair next to me.

I chuckle. "Hardly. I have to make the schedules for Mr. Kaske. I take calls and help with everything else around here. It's kind of boring actually." I chuckle.

I sigh when the phone rings again. This time it's Mr. Kaske. I pick it up. "Yes Sir?"

"Can you clear my schedule for today? I need to go home early. My wife just had her baby." A smile spreads across my lips.

"Of course Sir. Will that be all?"

"Yes. Thank you so much Sion." The line goes dead. I put the receiver down and log onto my computer.

I message all the people who have a meeting scheduled with Mr. Kaske, explaining the situation.

They don't respond, but I know they got the message.

"Geez. Now what am I supposed to do all day?" Gail leans back in her chair and sighs.

"You could help me take calls." She rolls her eyes.

"All right. Fine. But just this once."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I sigh and walk up the long stairs to the family shrine. Over the years, I've gotten quite used to walking up and down, but that doesn't mean that I'm not out of breath when I get to the top.

When I reach the top, I'm greeted by Max, the resident shrine keeper.

"Welcome home, Sion. Have a good day at work?" He asks, smiling.

His red hair and glasses make him look kind of dorky, but on the other hand, he looks kind of adorable at times.

"Yeah. I think I'm just gonna head off to bed. I'm pretty sleepy."

Max nods and walks to the kitchen.

I head upstairs and take a shower. I pull on my pjs and lay in bed.

My body gives in to the pull off a good night's sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My body jolts awake when I feel something soft and fluffy run under my nose.

I sneeze and try to look at the thing, but it runs off, probably spooked by my sneeze.

"Easy, Alia. It was just a sneeze." I let out a yelp seeing two men in my room.

One has a kimodo on while the other has a mask with a small fox around his neck.

"Wh-what are you doing in my house?!" I demand, more outraged than scared now.