Chapter One:"Your Son"

About a week later, Rachel and I were getting everything for Rah's party together. It was being held in a hall that housed about five hundred people. I had to make sure we got some stiff security, because all types of people were expected to come.
"Damn, Rah know everybody." I complained as I scrolled through the guest list on my ipad.
"I know girl, my parents are coming into town and so is Melanie, Cam, and even Chanel. I'm excited forreal. The only person I don't wanna see if Cash black ass." She said, I started cracking up.
"Girl, you know that's your man. When I invited him he asked me if you was gon be there... I think y'all should have a talk I mean, it's been years!" I said to her. Even though her and her ex husband ended on a bad note, with both of them doing things that weren't necessarily right, I am a true believer in love.
"I don't even wanna talk about him... I just hope that he can forgive me, for what I did with his brother." She got quiet for a minute. "But girl, Chauncey is coming in town, too!" Chauncey, our long lost gay best friend.
"OMG! I miss him so much. I can't wait." I smiled; this party was expected to be of the biggest that year.
"I know girl, he engaged too . Him and that white man he with done adopted a lil girl." She told me.
"Ha, Chauncey will be a great mother."
"Sometimes I just think about what could have happened if I woulda kept my baby... Everybody around me is just having kids and movin on with life, I'm just in the same predicament, I want a baby to call my own. Watching your boys just shows me how much I wish I had a family." She admitted. I hugged her.
"Girl, you gon have a family when the time is right, don't even sweat it. Your time will come."
*****

“Hello?”

“Um, hey, it’s Tracey. Is this Cash?” I spoke into the phone nervously.

“Yeah, was sup, Lil Tracey?” He chuckled.

“You do realize I’m a grown ass woman, Chester?” I shot back at him.

“Oh, you got jokes?!” We both laughed.

“Anyway, I need you to come to Rah’s party… he will only turn 30 once.”

“Of course I can try to make it, the only thing is my ex wife. Me and Rah still do business together, but I avoid family affairs cause technically, I’m not family anymore.” he said.

“You will always be family! And besides, I think Rachel would be happy to see you.” I hinted.

“Tracey, you young so I don’t think you can understand what went on between us. Rachel betrayed me deeper than any woman ever has, With my own younger brother, who I am still not talking to.”
“I understand that, but I can also say that I know you both were very much in love and y’all both were just trying to hurt each other. At the time, Rachel had just gotten out of the mental facility, I am sure she just wanted to be close to someone… your brother just happened to be there. I really believe y’all should try to work it out or at least talk.” I said.

“Well alright, sis. I will try to speak to her just for you, she and I should at least be able to be friends.” he said.

“Now that is exactly what I want to hear.” I smiled. “Well, I’ma let you go, see you Saturday.” I hung up, feeling accomplished.

            I walked downstairs to go start cooking dinner. the boys were in the play room and Rah was on his way back in town, once again. Him leaving all of the time was starting to bother me, honestly. I mean, eight years of not being able to be with your man when you want is hard to deal with.

            Unlike most of my female friends, I didn’t always have someone to come to every night to talk to about my problems and my job. Most of the times he wouldn’t be able to go to meet Jah’s teachers at school. Even though Rah was there financially, I felt like I was by myself aside from sex and occasional family trips. But, when you choose a street nigga, you have to deal with these things. With Rah’s approaching thirtieth birthday, I was considering asking him about going completely legit. Like every hustler, he had a few car shops, and a barber shop, but none of those businesses would really be able to support our spending habits and put our kids through school.