T W O

P R E S E N T

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

P R E S E N T

Aurelia spends the next morning trying to find the correct ingredients for scrambled eggs. She inspects the list she made after getting out the milk, cheese, salt and pepper and notices that she's missed the most important ingredient--the eggs. Shaking her head at her stupidity, she goes back to the fridge to get the food item and begins to mix the ingredients together. Just as she starts cooking the food, the front door opens. She knows who it is without having to look.

Harry comes strolling into the kitchen wearing different clothes. He has clothes at Celia's and decided to change before coming over to talk and he freezes when he sees his wife standing in front of the stove. Her head turns towards him and he feels nothing when he takes in her appearance. Aurelia's eyes are bloodshot from the crying she had done and from the lack of sleep she's been getting. She doesn't say a word as she turns her attention back to the eggs. She hums quietly to herself, trying to hide the fact that she's dying on the inside.

"Will you be able to drive Fynn to school or are you going to be too busy fucking your secretary?" Aurelia finally asks, breaking the tense silence between them.

"Watch your tone," Harry warns. "I may be divorcing you, but I still deserve some respect."

"I'll take that as a no," she replies coolly. She takes the eggs off the stove and puts them on a clean plate. When she looks down at them, she frowns. They're still grossly undercooked and even if they were done correctly, she wouldn't eat them. She's barely been able to eat these past couple of months. "Well, if you're not here to drive Fynn to school, then why'd you come back?"

"This is my home, Aurelia," Harry scoffs. "And I was hoping that you'd be acting more civil. I want to go over the terms of the divorce."

"I do not have the time to discuss that this morning. Have your lawyer draft up the conditions and send it to my office. I will look at it there," Aurelia says as she puts the eggs in the compost bin. "And if you think that I'll be civil about this, then you're a damn fool. You're leaving me for your secretary," she says bitterly. Harry feels a rush of anger at this and opens his mouth to respond, but he's stopped when he sees Fynn walking into the kitchen.

"Dad, you've come back!" he says with a happy smile. "You missed Mum's hot chocolate last night." Sometimes Aurelia would make hot chocolate from scratch and the three of them would settle down in front of the large fireplace. They would talk or joke around and sometimes play a board game. It was the thing that brought them closer. The mere mention of it breaks Aurelia's heart while Harry just shrugs.

"Oh well," he sighs. "Listen bud, I'm not going to be able to drive you to school today. I have a lot of work to do."

"That's okay," Fynn says cheerfully. "You can drive me to school some other time." He goes over to the fridge and pulls out the ingredients necessary for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for his lunch. While he makes it, Aurelia hastily takes out the milk and cereal and places it on the small table. "Mum, you got me a fork instead of a spoon," Fynn says with a slight laugh.