Chapter 3

The sky was barely starting to lighten when I gave up at about four and pulled myself from the bed. There wasn't a sound outside, no bugs or birds chirping to welcome in the new day. I decided I needed to talk to Mr. Ambrose at all cost and began stripping my dress from yesterday off. Once I was dressed, I crept downstairs and spied through the windows, looking for suspicious people lurking around. If he didn't know yet, I couldn't let him follow me and find out now.

After several minutes of silence and stillness, I snuck outside and changed into my pants. There was an uncomfortable tugging at my shoulder, but every time I looked over it no one was there. I wiped my heated brow, wet from nerves and exhaustion. It felt cooler for a moment before a chill swept down my skin. Even under all of these layers, I was shaking like a branch in the breeze.

As soon as I reached Empire House, I climbed inside and was too afraid to peer back across the street. I didn't want to know if it was even closer today, because I could still feel an echo of Lord Dalgliesh's terrifying presence pressing in on me. I shuddered and pressed my back against the door once it shut.

"I'm safe." I whispered and straightened myself, then made my way up the stairs to my office.

Everything was just as it should have been, not that Lord Dalgliesh could have snuck in here and gone through my things. That would be a definite waste of time. I shuddered again, almost feeling his touch on my cheek.

Walking over to the door that separated our offices, my hand hesitated at the knob when I heard that familiar plink. At least here everything was normal. I returned to my desk, read the file requests, and collected them. I didn't knock this time and walked straight toward him.

He was hunched over several files already, glancing between them and making notes. There was an empty spot on the corner of his desk so I set them down carefully. He looked agitated today, if the subtly of his silence and the frost-inducing glare he inflicted on the papers.

I worried what he'd say if I mentioned my little run-in with his nemesis so I turned around and walked back into my office without a word. After several more file deliveries, endless silence, and a few hours, there was a knock on my outer door.

"Mr. Linton, I have Mr. Ambrose's mail. May I come in?" It was Mr. Stone.

"Yes, come in." I called out to him.

"You're up early today." He smiled at me and carried the small pile to my desk. His smile fell when he reached me though and handed off the mail. "You're pale. Is he in one of his moods again? He was particularly upset after you left yesterday. Apparently, three of his shipments were lost at sea. Do you want me to speak to him?"

"No!" I nearly shouted.

Mr. Stone looked taken aback and glanced awkwardly at the door behind me. "I didn't mean to imply that you cannot handle things. You just seem unusually worn out."

"Thank you." A small smile barely reached my lips. "It's not him. I didn't sleep well. He is still rather upset today as well so I don't want you to incur his wrath unnecessarily."

"I see. Well, make sure you get some rest tonight." The smile almost returned to his face when a plink sounded next to me.

"Duty calls." Pulling out the note, I procured the file and quickly sorted through the mail. Charity. Charity. Business. Business. Something that looked like an invitation to a ball. I almost threw it out, then I noticed the seal. I dropped the letter as though it scalded me and jumped out of my seat, knocking my chair over.

It was an invitation from Lord Dalgliesh.

Plink.

I stared at the piece of paper, watching to make sure it didn't explode or transform into the very being I feared most right now.

The door behind me swung open and Mr. Ambrose's voice hit my ears.

"Mr. Linton, what seems to be the problem? I asked for a single file and the mail."

I jumped and turned around to pick up my chair. "Nothing, Sir. Just a spider, but I've taken care of it."

"Was it necessary to throw the chair at it? If there's any damage to the floor or chair, it'll be deducted from your wages."

"Of course Sir, it was a nasty surprise. My apologies." I scooped up the mail and folder, then walked over to him and offered them.

"What's wrong?" His eyes piercing mine, causing me to look away.

"Here's what you wanted."

He reached out and grabbed my arm, pulling me into his office and slamming the door shut behind us. "I asked you a question. Don't make me repeat myself again or I'll deduct half a day's wage."

"Lord Dalgliesh was at my house yesterday."

"Why didn't you tell me this earlier?"

"You were distracted. I wasn't sure when I should tell you. He believes that we know each other and is insistent about finding out how."

"Stay away from him."

"I'm aware of that, but it'll prove quite difficult now that he's convinced my whole family that he's courting me. I tried to make sure no one was following me this morning. That's why I came so early. I needed to speak with you."

Mr. Ambrose was staring at me, mind formulating a plan. I could see it in his eyes. He had that same twinkle that was neither beautiful nor magical. He too was moving in for the kill. Releasing my arm, he turned to face the window.

"You've proven yourself quite capable over the last few months, Mr. Linton. I'll be hard-pressed to find a replacement, even if they're only temporary."

I blinked. He's firing me? My worst fears were surfacing. He's abandoning me so the link can't be drawn between us. I felt cold and breathless, like Patsy had stabbed me with her parasol and left me out on the street.

"But this will be the best way to utilize you. I want you to find out whatever you can since you'll be forced to be around him from now on. Of course, that means you won't be able to come to work here. We can't have him realizing your little act."

"Wait, I'm not fired?" I really needed to sleep more. I could not keep up with all of this.

He clapped his hands together. "No, this is perfect. I suspect he's behind my missing ships and once you figure out what's become of them, you'll send word to me."

"How can I do that without drawing suspicion?"

"You will leave it in your uncle's shed. No one seems to acknowledge its existence anyway. I'll send one of my men to pick anything up."

"How will you know if I've left anything?"

He waved the concern off. "You could change the curtains."

I chuckled, thinking about Ella. "That would imply that we had more than one set. My uncle's the second most miserly man in all of London after all."

"Then place a candle in your window, something. But it must be subtle and not draw attention to itself."

"Yes, Sir. He's sent you an invitation to a ball. It's there on top. Are you considering attending then?"

He picked it up and tore it open. While he briefly read it, silence filled the room. I realized this may be the last time I set foot in this office. No, this was only going to be temporary. Mr. Ambrose said so himself. He had faith in my abilities. I needed to as well.

"I'll need another partner. I believe Miss Hamilton is currently away on holiday. Mr. Linton, grab some paper. I need to dictate a letter before it gets too late in the day."