Chapter 29. The Dramatic Reunion

Start from the beginning

Gabby closed her mouth with an audible snap.

Ed sat next to Lilith, timidly taking her hand. They exchanged a glance. Lilith soundlessly moved her lips, I'll tell you later, knowing it was a lie. She'd never tell him what she agreed to do.

Lilith's parents, as expected, launched into a sophisticated match of exchanging insults, only this time both sides were even. After a short while, Gabby gave up, mopping her tears and watching her husband get a wet towel from the bathroom to clean his daughter's cuts. She stood a bit to the side, like a frightened squirrel, her eyes puffy.

"Mom, I love you," croaked Lilith. She couldn't remember the last time she said that to her mother.

"What—what did you say?" Gabby sidled to the bed.

Daniel paused, Panther ceased licking, Ed stifled a cough.

"Mom, Dad, I wanted to tell you both that I love you."

"We love you too, pup."

"Thank you for caring for me, for raising me, for—for everything. I'm sorry I wasn't more cooperative." A desire to spend time with her mother flooded Lilith, and a pang of regret prickled her gut.

"Oh, baby. I love you, too!" Gabby squeezed her daughter, rocking her back and forth, until Lilith felt the need to breathe, rolling her eyes at Panther, who barked.

Gabby let go, embarrassed. "About the pills, if you ever need a break, all you have to do is ask."

A cloud of sickly sweet fragrance filled the room.

Alfred silently materialized by the bed, dressed in a festive suit of burgundy velour with a strikingly bright rose in his lapel, his hair puffy as if he just took a shower.

"Well, well. I told you she'd turn up eventually, didn't I? There was no need to worry after all."

"Hello, Grandfather," pronounced Lilith clearly, her fear of him gone in the face of death, her sense of sarcasm returning full force, bringing with it renewed energy.

"Alfred! Where have you been? What is the meaning of this?"

"Dad? Now you decide to show up?"

"Actually, it's my fault. I asked the mansion not to let you guys out," Lilith interjected, staring into Alfred's unblinking eyes. "Dear Grandfather, I apologize profusely for causing such an uproar in your house and for disturbing your guests. It was very inconsiderate and egotistical of me, but I assure you that after tomorrow's carnival I will vanish from your life, never to bother your sacred presence again."

If there were crickets in the mansion, you'd be able to hear them. Alas, even crickets were wise enough to avoid living here.

Alfred threw his hands in the air. "Son, sorry I was gone. Had some important business to attend to. Your daughter must be very tired. Listen to her, she doesn't know what she's saying. What did you say, my dear girl, can you repeat it?"

"On the contrary, I'm starting to believe that she might actually know exactly what she's saying," Daniel responded stiffly.

All attention on her, Lilith composed herself. It didn't matter if her father believed her or not, she had one day left to live, and it had to count. There were things she wanted to do, and those things were: scaring her grandfather out of his socks, watching her mother knit, taking a stroll with her father, looking for a squirrel with Panther, and kissing Ed. She definitely wanted to know what it felt like to properly kiss.

Lilith marched up to Alfred.

"What I said, dear Grandfather, was that I'm sorry I caused such a racket, and that it was my fault for locking everyone up. What I meant was that it's between me and the property now. You, sadly, are out of the picture." She flashed her grandfather a smile, elated at his perplexed expression, turned on her heels, and hiked into the bathroom, shutting the door and locking it.