Chapter 12

Callie and I headed down the winding staircase leading from my bedroom, with her almost falling down the stairs twice, a cause created by the new sensation of wearing heels. 

      "Cece," she said to me "What if your real parents hate me? I mean, how do you know that they're anything like you're other ones?"

     I smiled and said "Well, they loved me right from the start, so..." She didn't look very convinced. 

     "Of course they loved you. You're their daughter, a girl whom they haven't seen in almost 17 years! It's very possible that they are going to hate me!" She said, starting to get a little panicked.

     "Callie. They. Will. Love. You!" I said, squeezing her hand in between each word. I was positive that they would like her. I mean, she was my best friend! How could they not? And even if they didn't, then too bad. They would have to tough it out, because Callie, she's not going anywhere.

     "Okay," She smiled at me "I guess you're right."

     We turned the corner and came face to face with the giant doors that led to the giant dining room.

     "Are you ready, Cal's?" I asked my best friend, who, at the moment, looked so nervous she could pass out.

     "Of course." She smiled at me, trying not to let her nervousness show. I laughed which made her giggle as well.

     I reached out and pulled open the doors that led to the dining room, which took a lot of effort, considering that the doors were huge. Callie gasped and I smiled when I had to give her a little nudge to keep walking when she was mesmerized by an exquisite painting of the orchard outside.

     I looked over to the long table stretched out before us. Just like when I first came to the castle, there were two seats left, the rest taken up by lords and ladies that lived in the castle and worked out in the gardens and orchards. When we walked over to our seats which were right beside the king and queens everyone stood. As we sat down in the chairs that had red, plush seats, everyone else sat down too.

     "Everyone, I would like you to meet my daughter Cecelia's best friend Callie." said the queen, and as she spoke, silence fell before us at the table. When she finished speaking, everyone started greeting us and clapping at the same time. Some were saying "Hello" or "Good evening", and others just smiled and waved. I couldn't help but notice both my mother and fathers eyes widen and they gave each other a nervous glance when they looked at Callie. I wondered what was up with them, but I decided it was nothing and brushed it off.

     I took Callie's hand in mine under the table and gave it a little squeeze. Her hands were really sweaty. I guess she was still nervous, but she was doing a pretty good job to cover it up.

     "How ya holding up?" I whispered to her as the waiters and waitresses brought out the first course; a light spinach salad with olive oil dressing, and strawberries.

     "I'm good," she said while taking a bite of a strawberry "Mmm! These are so juicy!" I laughed. It was like she had never eaten a strawberry before. I popped a strawberry into my own mouth and chewed. I closed my eyes, trying to savor the flavor. Callie was right. These were amazing. I ate five more then started on my salad which was also amazing.

     About 20 minutes later, we had all finished the appetizer and were halfway through the main course of the meal which consisted of lasagna and garlic bread with lemonade to drink; Callie's favorite, requested to the chef by yours truly, when she whispered to me that she had to go to the bathroom.

     "Mom," I said in a hushed tone to my mother "Callie has to go to the bathroom. I'll show her where the closest one to here is, and we'll come right back. Okay?"