Chapter 15. The Unexpected Interrogation

Start from the beginning

"You're such a bore, Alfred." Rosalinde issued a forced chuckle. Her remark went unanswered.

Four paws blundered in. To Lilith's horror, Bär lowered his enormous head and sniffed the floor. Panther went stiff, the fur standing on his back. The mastiff peered right at them, dropped the beret, and barked something close to a mini-thunder. 

At the same moment, the edge of the bed met the floor and clamped shut. Both Lilith and Panther were plunged into darkness filled with a delicious fragrance. They found themselves inside a giant flower, roomy enough to sit up. Light seeped through its veined petal-walls.

Lilith gave Panther her most penetrating glare. He shrugged, pretending to focus on the silhouettes of the people moving about the room.

Wow, thought Lilith. A wild rose. Grandfather's mansion is a groomed rosebush, and this cottage is a wild rose. The runt of the litter, just like us.

"...never fails," Alfred boomed. "Dogs don't lie, my dear. She was here, wasn't she?" Alfred walked over to Ed. "Would you like to tell us what happened? How she got here, where she went? Or, dare I ask, may she still be present in your room...hiding, perhaps?"

Ed remained motionless, his figure hunched by the desk.

"Really, darling? You let a girl in our house without letting me know?" Rosalinde issued a fake laugh. Her profile reminded Lilith of a movie actress more than a gardener. She turned to face Gabby and Daniel. "Ed would never let in a girl without my knowledge. We trust each other. It's very tragic that your daughter disappeared. I can't imagine—simply can't imagine. Is there anything I can do to help? Please, search the entire house if you must."

Ed hung his head deeper.

"I don't know what we're doing here, Daniel, we're wasting our time," said Gabby in a tone that could scare ice into a double-freeze. "It's obvious the boy won't talk. He doesn't talk in general, does he?"

"Ed talks when he deems suitable." Rosalinde sounded hurt.

"How often is that? Once a decade?" Gabby snapped.

"Gabby, please!" Daniel exclaimed in horror.

"If he has nothing to say, there is no point for him to say anything. He has the right to remain silent for as long as he wants." Rosalinde's voice fell an octave lower.

A mutual intake of air fizzed through the room.

"Ladies, we're not here to discuss Ed's choices, are we? We're here to find Lilith." Alfred padded the air around him in an effort to suppress the tension.

Rosalinde muttered something. Gabby sat stock still.

Daniel sighed. "Ed, anything you want to tell us, buddy?"

Lilith held her breath.

Ed shook his head no.

"He doesn't know anything. Sounds like the issue is closed." Rosalinde stood.

"No, it isn't." Gabby leaped to her feet. Lilith detected the beginning of her mother's wrath. "Easy for you to say. Your step-son is sitting in front of you and you have nothing to worry about. My daughter, however, might be wandering the streets right now, lost, confused, and scared. For heaven's sake, can't you make him talk?"

"Is that how you raise your daughter, by making her do things?" Rosalinde retorted. 

Both the girl and the dog squirmed closer, to hear better. A shadow fell over them. Bär pressed his nose to the petal and sniffed loudly. Lilith stiffened. Panther pretended to be dead. The mastiff sucked in the air a couple times, snorted, and waddled off. Lilith felt Panther's tongue on her cheek. She hugged him, straining to listen.