The Imaginary Friend

Start from the beginning

"I've also never met anyone like you," he continued his manipulation. "Alexis Warren is completely unattractive. Those glasses, pale skin... I only satisfy with the finest," he began to caress Marlene's shoulders, continued on her collarbone and finally on her legs. The girl shivered, but didn't flinch.

"I still can't believe what did Alexis do to me," she murmured. "We were best friends all along. And now, she... it makes me wish everything was the same as before."

"Isn't this better?" Kyle asked.

"Yes, of course, but I... I want to remember Alexis as the kind girl that talked to me when no one else was. As my friend. I hope you understand..."

"Sometimes people aren't what they appear to be," Kyle said. "And now... what if we forget about Warren and take our relationship on the next level? I'm sure you're even more beautiful without that dress."

Marlene blushed. "W...what? We can't! I'm not ready! And I'm just seventeen! We..."

He put a finger on her lips to silence her, then kissed her hard. He watched her resistance fall apart with a sinister pleasure. "Let's pretend we are in Europe, where you're legal at fifteen," he said. "Besides that, nobody will know. It will be our little secret, my love."

"Are you sure...? Do you want it...?"

Of course I do, you prude little nerd. I'll tie you to me even tighter than before.

"Only if you're ready. I know it's an important decision and I won't force you."

Marlene started to think and Kyle was afraid that she'll flinch after all. But then Marlene pulled the dress' straps off her shoulders. The dress fell to the floor.

>><<

West Haven

"Sis, you can't be upset about her forever," Diane Warren said. "The food is more important."

"Damn!" Alexis cursed as soon as she smelled the burned omelette. She rushed to the cooker and tried to save as much as possible, but the damage was already done. She sighed resignedly and sweeped the destroyed food straight into the dustbin.

"I don't know you this way," Diane noted.

"What would you do if Anna turned her back on you?" Alexis barked.

"I know it's hard, but it's not the end of the world. She's blinded by that hot asshole who nearly killed us. He's just too damn good with girls. Don't worry, we'll manage to open her eyes somehow."

"Sacrificing a years-long friendship for a guy who only manipulates you," Alexis sighed. "Marlene... you weren't like that. You never were."

"Looks like she's gonna learn the truth about men in a hard way," Diane said. "Those hot ones are the worst. They can't value girls because if they lose one, they'll just get another one in a jiffy."

Alexis jeered. "Says the girl who flirts with every attractive guy in a 50-metre range."

"They may be an eye candy," Diane shrugged, "but I rarely mean it seriously. Sis, I'm not as shallow as you think. I consider more than look, even though it's also a factor. I would never fall for that jerk Kyle if he started manipulating me like he does with Marlene."

"The problem is that Marlene probably doesn't have an idea that she's being manipulated. I've seen Kyle two times and I already know that he's very skilled at what he's doing. Maybe if we didn't solve that case with Possessed, I'd sooner or later start believing that his love for Marlene is sincere." Alexis sighed and her hands started to shake. "If she listened to me, we could show her the reversed verse from Possessed, clearly spoken by Kyle's voice. But she refuses to even hear me out. She's blinded."