The Icaria Poltergeist

Start from the beginning

"I think... I changed my mind," the woman muttered. "Goodbye."

"Okay, as you wish!" Diane shouted. "We make offer, it's up to you if you accept it or not." She slammed the door and returned to her sister. "What a moron." she said.

"I thought we agreed that you leave the talking to me?" Alexis grumbled.

"Yeah, because you're the sweet little angel, right?"

"No. It's because I'm better at communicating with clients."

"Because you're the sweet little angel."

Alexis sighed for the third time. "Whatever."

"Look, that chick apparently didn't want our help, so she left. It's that easy," Diane snapped her fingers. "We can't just force the people to want our services."

"We sure can't, but it's about money, Diane!" Alexis said. "I don't want us to live in poverty. I don't want you to live in such way. We can barely afford to pay rent; I already had to take money from my reserves several times to pay for the necessary stuff."

"You act like our mom," Diane said bitterly. Then she added: "Thanks."

"The mom we never met," Alexis muttered, staring at the floor.

The sisters were familiar only with a few facts that Reverend Warren told them. He said that their mother was a very extraordinary person, "too precious for this world," as he put it. He assured them countless times that their mother didn't leave them because she didn't want them or didn't love her newborn girls. He briefly explained that her mother had to face serious problems which left her unable to take care of the girls properly. The sisters only knew that their father died during these events.

Their mother chose Ignatius Warren as the caretaker for her newborn daughters because she believed that the holy man will be able to raise the children properly. He was also one of a very few people in Gabriel's Gardens their mother knew and could fully trust.

The holy man has never told them any details about their parents. He refused to tell them even their names because it would be easy to find out more about the events on the Internet - "It was a rough era in this city's history and the newspapers were full of it," Warren explained.

The sisters agreed to never investigate the past of their parents. Both of them, even Diane, had respect for their parents' memory and they were certain that there is some reason behind Warren's mysteriousness. Besides that, both girls carried a memento of their parents engraved in their skin.

Alexis and Diane had strange tattoo-like insignias on their right hands - Alexis' looked like a blue feather, Diane's like a crimson rose. These unusual birthmarks enabled the sisters to use their Powers. And both were certain that it was a heritage left by their mother.

And they both swore that they'll use their powers only for the sake of purifying this New Sodom, as Reverend Warren called the city, from the influence of evil.

>><<

The next morning, everything was the same- Alexis was scolding Diane for sleeping in late while her careless sister ignored her reproaches and ate her breakfast.

A doorbell.

Diane was the first to open the door again. She found the same woman from yesterday - she looked even more tired and there was a plaster on her forehead unsuccessfully covered by her hair. The skin around the plaster was reddish and swollen. The woman was injured.

"Please," she gasped. "You are my only hope."

Diane smirked. "Do I look like Obi-Wan Kenobi to you?"