Farewell

I could have stood there and hugged Elizabeth until I squeezed the life out of her completely. And it feel like I nearly did. We stood silently for a few minutes in the embrace.

"Ayla, love you're going to suffocate me." She huffed with a laugh. I released her and composed myself so that I wouldn't smear the make up Mary had so carefully applied onto my face.

"Elizabeth... you're here." I said in disbelief. It was as if her presence was a pull into the world where I wanted to be. A world without the pain and heartbreak I was experiencing now.

"Ayla... I am so glad to see you!" Her eyebrows furrowed and she looked at me with concern.

"I'm going to return in a while to collect you. I assume you two will need to do some catching up." Mary said as she made her way for the door. I had completely forgotten she was here.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed at her. She gave me a large grin and shut the door softly before stepping out.

Elizabeth grabbed me quickly and gave me a tight squeeze, catching me off guard.

"What was that for?" I asked jokingly. Her face darkened momentarily.

"I'm just so glad you're alive, that's all." She smiled quickly. Her words struck me. Did she know? My face gave away my utter confusion.

"It's all over court about what happened Ayla, it's okay." She shrugged.

"It... it is?"

"Yes, it's not a secret. Well, nothing is a secret in court." She winked at me. I blushed profusely. Did everyone really know? Of course... they must have thought I was the king's mistress. What did Elizabeth think of me?

"Well, I suppose it's best everyone knew the truth." I mused.

"Especially if you want a husband! Honesty is key. I mean, the king seems to like you well enough, and it couldn't be helped. You're alive and that's all that matters." I was even more confused. Alive? How much did she know?

"Who told you?" I would attempt to figure out what she knew and give nothing away.

"Some of the guards of course, the ones that lived through the ordeal. Poor lads." My heart sank. How much did she know? Thaddeus told me that Nathaniel had slaughtered two of the guards during my abduction.

I strode to the bed and sat dramatically, trying to collect all of my thoughts. Elizabeth joined and I could feel her stare from the corner of my eye.

"So... you know?" I asked quietly.

"Yes sweetheart. It's why I never came by before. I couldn't risk getting sick." She raised a brow at me. My face was still as stone and hot. I truly had no idea what she was talking about.

"Of course not." Was all I could say.

"You look fantastic though! If I didn't know any better I'd say you never had the pox at all." She said cheerfully. She grabbed my arm and rubbed the soft skin under my elbow.

The pox. The pox? That's what everyone thought happened to me? Well. I suppose it'd have been almost better than the real version.

I watched her hand run across my skin and my eyes widened at the sight of a ring on her fourth finger. It was a large circular ruby set in gold.

"Elizabeth."

"Yes?" She didn't look up from the skin she seemed to be almost inspecting on my arm.

"You have a ring." I said plainly.

"Oh... yes." She let go of my arm and blushed. She looked at me and I met her gaze intently.