Secrets

When Thaddeus said "Let me see what I can do." I expected a fruit bowl, or a pie. However, I was met with over a dozen servant boys. They carried up silver trays full of various foods. Pork, chicken, and lamb prepared in ways I had never seen.

An entire selection of fruit tarts was brought to me. Thaddeus spoke of his trading. He had constant imported fruits from trades with other kingdoms. France and Spain gifted monthly shipments, and in exchange he set up marriages and political favor.

I enjoyed his tales of trade and politics even if I didn't understand most of it. I was overwhelmed, and quite upset about the food. I hated working the kitchens for grand parties in Weston. We worked from dusk until dawn and barely slept for days. Lords and ladies ate completely unaware that people received scars making some of their meals.

"This is too much." I said plainly.

"Thank you works. But I'll take that too." He watched me scout the trays with my eyes.

"It wasn't a thank you. How long were these young boys preparing these meals? Or the maidens in the kitchen? How long did they slave over this meal?"

"I don't care." He said without care. I scoffed, glaring at him as I folded my arms.

"I do."

"Leave us." He commanded. The boys quickly hurried out of the room, leaving the trays nearly lined on the floor.

I stood by the tray of fine fruit tarts, and kicked it lightly. Thaddeus was on me in an instant.

"Does this not please you?" He said in a whisper. His body didn't touch mine, but if I leaned forward at all we would be pressed against one another. I stood my ground, staring into his hazel eyes.

"The food? Or the servitude. I am sure you know why I am sensitive to their situation. It's wrong. I used to cook for lords and ladies and dukes. They're ungrateful and fat." I put my hand over my mouth. I was talking to the King. Even in closed chambers I felt terrified of a lashing.

"Then I will hire more kitchen servants and give them shorter hours." He said plainly. I gawked at him.

"Just like that?"

"Just like that. Money is no object to me, I was unaware of their situation. It will change. Now eat something before I eat you." He chuckled. I dared not test him.

I grabbed a strawberry tart and sat on the bed gently. I took a bite of the most delectable taste I had ever experienced. I was in heaven.

"Do you eat food, or just people?" There I went again, not speaking with any regard. I looked down away from his face until I heard him laugh.

"Well firstly, I don't eat people. That would be quite complicated to explain to the chef, wouldn't it?" He bellowed. We both laughed.

"I drink blood for sustenance. It doesn't have to be human. But human is the best taste, and I can go quite longer once I have fed from a person rather than a bear or a deer." He said nonchalantly. I gasped.

"You feed from a bear?!" I truly couldn't imagine this godly man with his fangs into the hide of a brown bear. It was nearly amusing.

"It's not very good. Humans are better all around. And with humans, our bite can produce a very pleasurable experience, as you know." He said, making me blush.

"Or painful." I said quietly.

"Yes, or painful." He folded his arms across his bare chest. I stared at his arms, imagining him carrying me again.

"It's up to us how we make it feel. Once a bite happens, a temporary bond is struck between us and a human. In that instant we control their pain." His voice trailed off. Neither of us wanted to remember.

"What do I call you?" The question had plagued my mind.

"Well, I prefer your majesty for my human consorts. They call me the same in and out of my bedroom. But they also never know about my secrets. So I suppose this is different. When we are alone you may call me my name. When we are not, please call me something more responsible." He raised a brow. I nodded.

"Will I be allowed to go back to court?"

"I'm not sure. I can't make you silent. I can't take away your memories. Nothing is a guarantee. You're an exposure liability."

A liability. I was a threat to him. Or worse, I was expendable.

"When will you kill me?"

"Whenever it suits me." He said with a grin. A chill shot down my spine and a panic set in, thinking of Thaddeus draining the life from me.

"Ayla, please calm down. It was a joke."

"Your sense of humor is horrible, you know that?"

"And your questions are equally as stupid, so let us move on."

"Okay... am I the only one that knows you're a vampire? Only human, I mean. Are any other nobles vampires?"

"No, you're not. There are very few nobles that are vampires. You have met all three of us here." His answer surprised me.

"Oh..." I had no idea what to say.

"We keep a low profile here. I try not to attract any unwanted attention."

"From who?" I asked. He stared at me for a long moment.

"Do you understand nature, Ayla? Predator and prey?" He began to pace slowly in front of the food trays.

"Yes."

"Good. In nature, there is a food chain. Nature has a balance. All things have a place. For every predator, there is prey. And in some cases, for every predator, there is another predator." He said. I listened to him intently.

"Vampires are not new to our particular food chain. And I suppose you could say that nature found a way of keeping us in check. Keeping the balance." His tone grew dark.

"So... you're prey for something?" I asked.

"Something like that... A conversation for a later time, perhaps. For now, you must eat. I have to get back to Suffolk soon. I am supposed to be twenty miles away and they think I went off tromping into the woods. They may think me dead soon." He laughed.

"Stay in this room. I have a sentry posted outside of your door. Please don't leave. I'll be back before sun up."

He walked to me, pulling my chin up with his hand. He kissed my forehead gently and disappeared in an instant.

I liked this side of him. A gentle monster. It gave me hope that perhaps he wouldn't kill me; not yet. But his story shook me. Nature would always find a balance. Predator and prey. If he was the prey, who was the predator?