Argument

Doctor Janet Fraiser gave a skeptical look, and her arms folded over her chest. "I'm sorry, but I don't think this is helping her," she replied, shooting a glance in Jack's direction. "She hasn't had any improvement from the time she walked through the Gate. One minute, she seems to be back to her normal self, the next, she's an animal, and now, she's tried to kill herself." The woman paused, realizing how she sounded. She relaxed, then explained, "Look, I know you're trying to help Major Carter. And I know that it hasn't been that long since the diagnosis. However, I think we should try something different."

   Sam stood outside the infirmary door, listening intently to the doctor's conversation with her psychologist. Had she really been acting so odd in the last two weeks? She remembered SG-1's mission to PX3-285, and she remembered bits and peices of the pain she endured. What she didn't know was that she had been acting like a savage, wild animal one minute and a suicidal patient the next.

   Dr. Manford sighed. "Well then, what do you suppose we do?"

   "I know this sounds counterproductive..." she started, almost as if she'd already had this speech planned. "But I think we need to let her go back."

   Sam desperately wanted to see the reactions of her teammates and the psychologist, but refused to be spotted. She bit her lip and waited for an answer, and before too long, she got one.

   "I'm sorry Dr. Manford, but I'm going to have to agree with Dr. Fraiser here. So far, SG-1 has seen little improvement with her condition, and we cannot afford to wait much longer. If you'd still like to stay and help, that'll be fine, but I think right now, her team is her biggest chance at getting back to normality."

   The Major didn't know whether to be glad or disappointed. She had stood listening to them decide on her future without even knowing the full story, and it scared her more than anything to imagine what she might've become. Yet, despite her fears, she trusted not only Dr. Fraiser, but also the entirety of her team. And, she knew that if anything seemed too risky, her commanding officer would quickly step up to bring a quick stop to the idea.

   Rather than doing so, however, he simply nodded and said, "What exactly do you have planned, Doc?"

   Dr. Fraiser sighed, looking from the General, to Jack, then back again. "I think that we need to allow Major Carter to go back to PX3-285. I believe that this will allow her to not only remember what happened, but to let go and understand why it is important to let go."

   Sam let out a shocked cry as the memories flooded back again. Tears brimmed her eyes, and she squeezed them shut, hoping that no one would see.

   "Let's do it then." The Colonel agreed, moving towards the door. The chatter in the room stopped as he opened it, walking out to see a broken, frail Carter laying on the floor.

   The entire team looked suprised at the Major for her apparent eavesdropping, but Jack seemed to wave it off as he bent down to her level and asked, "Are you okay?"

   Dr. Manford walked away, not caring to say a word.

   Sam gulped, then replied, "I- I remember what happened now. I- I really, really need to go back." The Major wiped her eyes as the Colonel helped her up, and made an effort to look a little braver than she felt.

   "I know. That's why we had that little conversation back there. We're letting you go back, because we think that it'll help." He looked to Doctor Fraiser for a little more explanation, and the Doctor began to speak.

   "We're giving Doctor Manford four more days with you. After that, if there's no improvement, we will allow you to go through the Gate to PX3-285. Your team will be with you at all times to ensure your safety, and you can do what you need to do to begin your healing emotionally."

   Sam's eyes squeezed shut again, and she nodded. "How do you know this is the right thing to do?" she asked, looking from one teammate to another.

   "Well, we don't," Daniel replied, pulling his glasses from his face. "But we'll just have to try." He held his glasses up to examine them, then wiped them and returned them to his face.

   "Daniel's right. If we're ever going to get you over this, we'll have to try different methods. I know it's not going to be easy, but you'll need to concentrate on getting back to your normal self again."

   Sam nodded. As far as she knew, she hadn't been acting that differently lately, but she was reminded of her capture, and she lowered her head. "I'll try," she promised.

   Janet looked to the rest of the team and continued, "And I expect each of you to keep an eye on her whenever you're able. Maybe later we can all go over to her house and spend some time together."

   The Major nodded, then replied, "I'd like to go wash up, if that's fine." It had felt like days since she showered, and she caught herself scratching her head over and over again.

   "Go ahead," the Colonel responded, and the rest of the team watched as she walked over to the locker room area to shower.

   As she walked away, millions of thoughts clouded her mind. If she'd been acting like an animal all this time, had anyone taken care of her house? How long had it been since the mission to PX3-285? And why did she want to go back?

   She remembered the bruises, the gashes, the numb feeling she had from the waist down. Now she was walking, and although sore, she seemed fine on the outside.

   It was the inside that was damaged, like someone had taken parts of her brain, cut them up, then puzzled them back together in all the wrong places. On the outside, she was fine, yet on the inside, she was still in the midst of torment.

   Yay! Late updates....sorry guys, I haven't really been feeling it lately, so the updates have obviously been late. However, I watched an episode of SG-1 with my aunt yesterday, and I've been inspired to keep this story going. Enjoy.