Swimming

The tires of Janet's car squealed as the doctor stopped her, jerking the car door open and yelling, "What are you doing?"

  Sam stopped. What was she doing? One second, she sat on the edge of the pool, watching Janet and Cass swim. The next, she was pulling out of the driveway, trying to get back to Cheyenne Mountain. "I- I'm sorry, I'm just...I'm fine," she responded. She unbuckled her seat belt and climbed out of the car, walking back over to the edge of the pool.

   "Are you sure you're okay? We can go back home if you're not," Janet replied, staring at Sam with concern in her eyes.

   "Yeah, I just- I need to clear my head." She walked up the latter to the pool and sat back down, glancing back and forth from Janet to Cassie.

   She had to get out, but she'd already been stopped once. If she tried again, she knew that the doctor would insist on leaving, and she'd just be cooped up in their house for the rest of the weekend.

   The Major placed her hand on the surface of the water, and watched as it rippled with every touch. She could jump in and enjoy herself, if only that feeling would go away. Maybe swimming with the girls would actually help, she thought.

   However, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't bring herself to climb in. She was distracted every time she tapped the surface of the water, but it didn't last long. She couldn't convince herself that she wanted to spend the weeekend with the girls; her only desire was to go back to Cheyenne Mountain, as soon as possible.

   Everytime she thought she'd come up with a plan, she looked at the inhabitants of the pool and her thoughts were erased. She couldn't escape! She loved hanging out with Cassandra and Janet; she wouldn't trade these moments for the world.

   Or would she?

   Sam stood at on the highest step of the ladder, and stared down at the surface below. How long could she last? The surface of the water rippled with every movement, and Sam glanced up with pursed lips to see Cassie floating on a raft. "C'mon, Sam, jump in!"

   The Major smiled back at the teenager, then looked again at the bottom of the pool. She wondered how it would feel to sit on the bottom and watch the two women swim, like a fish in the water. "Sam, are you okay? You look a little upset," Janet commented, pulling her sunglasses from her face.

   "I was just wondering what it would be like to have fins..."

   Cassandra giggled. "Why don't you jump in and find out? Come on, Sammy, it'll be fun!"

   She jumped.

   Her head smacked the bottom of the pool, and she cursed mentally. She remembered the times when she and Mark would go swimming and her brother would lie on the bottom, giving her grandmother a scare. Her brother would hold his breath for minutes and then pop back up, gasping for breath before going back down again.

   She lifted her head from the water, hearing the voices of her two companions. Every part of her body felt heavy, and the noise of their speech was loud and annoying. She wanted to run away, so that she could hear her own thoughts and focus on what was important.

   Sam dunked her head in the water. She held it under for an unknown amount of time. She could feel the water flowing through her nose and mouth, but she didn't care.

Bubbles rose at the surface, and Janet glanced over to see the Major slowly drowning herself. "Sam, what are you doing?" she asked, assuming that her friend was just goofing off.

   She didn't respond.

   "Sam? Samantha!?"

   The Major's body snapped under the water as she swam down, lying at the bottom of the pool. She no longer felt the desire to live, not if she couldn't leave this vacation. She didn't want to keep trying to survive, if only to please those around her and never do anything for herself. The weight of her problems was too heavy, and so many voices screamed at her to go back to the place where she nearly died in a pool of her own blood. The water at the bottom was welcoming, and warm. It entered her nose and mouth in great quantities, causing her vision to blur more than it already was, before it went completely black.

   Janet heard Cassandra's scream as she returned to the surface of the water with the Major's body in her arms. She pulled her out of the pool and onto dry land, checking for the rise and fall of her chest. At the realization Sam wasn't breathing, the doctor began preforming CPR, placing her hand on the center of Sam's chest and pushing a few times before tilting her head and giving a few breaths.

   Three seconds later the Major sat up, coughing up the water she had allowed into her body. Her face was as pale as a ghost and her lips had turned a dark blue. Her eyes fluttered open and she blinked in disbelieve. "Janet..."

   The doctor sighed. "What did you think you were doing? You scared the heck out of me!" she yelled, her voice cracking. "I'm calling doctor Manford," she paused, "and we're going to talk."

Hope you guys enjoy! Now, I've got friends to hang out with and cookies to eat. Bye for now!!!