Beginnings

Sam listened intently to the voices outside the door: they were low, yet talkative, and carried a somewhat worrisome air. The glaring lights and constant footsteps made the Major want to burrow further beneath the blankets, even though she knew that she'd have to come out eventually. And to think, that it had only started about a week ago.

     SG-1 had made an appearance on PX3-285 on Monday morning. They walked in line with one another, keeping their voices low as they eyed the landscape before them. It looked like any other planet, with hills that could be seen from a distance and trees that spread out almost endlessly. 

     Colonel O'Neill had taken the lead, and he guided his team with an optimistic countenance and listened as they whispered to each other. Sam made a comment about the atmosphere of the planet, and wondered aloud whether it might have something to do with the small amount of sunlight received.

     "You alright there, Carter? You sound a little...spooked," the Colonel teased, picking up the pace as they came along a little trail cut in the woods.

     The Major was quick to reply, and although her response was believable, her worried expression gave her away. "I'm fine, Sir, just...making an observation."

     All seemed calm until Jack stopped, signaling for SG-1 to do the same. They had come to a sort of fork in the road, and the Colonel looked both ways before deciding which path they should take. So far, there hadn't been any signs of life on the planet, but Jack wanted to be sure.

     It was then that a loud shrieking noise was heard, and the entire team was frozen with fear and uncertainty. "What was that?" Daniel asked, nearly yelling over the inhuman sound.

     No one knew how to answer Daniel's question, at least, not at the moment. The sound was so loud that it should've been easy to know where it was coming from, but it was the exact opposite. The horrific noise shook the ground that the team stood upon, and it seemed that it came from everywhere, but the source was unidentified until finally, it stopped.

     Teal'c was the first to speak. "I believe we are in danger, O'Neill."

     "Yeah, what makes you think that?" the Colonel replied sarcastically.

     "I have never heard this sound, but as a young Jaffa, there was a tale told amongst those of higher rank about a beast that uttered an unbearable roar."

     None of the team dared to move, or even raised their heads, because of the possible threat that loomed over them. "Go on," Jack urged, keeping as still as he could, despite the smell of the creature above them.

     "They said that this creature roamed in the dark of night, carrying off Jaffa women and slaughtering them violently to feed their young."

     "Teal'c...are these- stories- at all true?" the Colonel asked, bracing himself for the worst.

     "The tales have yet to be confirmed," he replied unconvincingly.

     Another shriek rang in their ears, and each person ran, not waiting to be told. They had little to no knowledge of what they were up against, and they didn't want to wait around to find out. Carter was in the lead, and Jack shouted at her, telling her to dial the gate. Teal'c followed close behind, running at full speed with a staff weapon in his hand. Jack and Daniel brought up the rear, refusing to glance back. The beast was determined to make an appearance, however, and before Major Carter could reach the dial, she found herself blocked by a massive, dragon-like beast.

     The winged creature was slim and silver, bearing the appearance of a sculpture made of stone. It had feathers lining the back of it's neck and the outside of it's wings, and a stare that could pierce the hardest of hearts. The end of it's tail was bulbous, and looked to be filled with a foul, green liquid, and it eyed Carter like a worm on a hook.

     The Major was visibly taken back by the creature, stopping in her tracks to think up a plan. She wondered what the creature was waiting for before it snatched her up, leaving Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c gazing helplessly at the sky.

     The beast was gone in an instant. Daniel tried to make heads-or-tails of the situation, but all he could do was stutter and stare at the spot where Sam was taken. Jack and Teal'c remained silent, pondering the situation, unsure of what to do next. Should they try to find their lost friend and bring her home, or should they alert General Hammond to bring reinforcements?

     "We don't need to bring anyone else here if this...thing...is just going to kill them all," Daniel finally said, trying to be sensitive of the situation.

     "Then what are we going to do?" Jack asked, sounding irritated already.

     "I- I don't know. I know...we can't leave her here. Not with that thing. If it were anyone of us in this situation, Sam would say the same."

     "He is right, Colonel O'Neill. If this beast is truly capable of what I am told, then time is of the essence."

     The Colonel's face showed no expression, but it was obvious that he wanted to avoid the worst. "We should see what we can do on our own before we pull anyone else into this. I'll send a message in to General Hammond, and let him know our situation. He should be able to send the equipment we need to plan a rescue."

     "Until then?" Daniel asked, his eyes tinted with worry.

     "Until then, we lay low, and wait to see if Carter responds to our signal."

     Daniel and Teal'c stayed silent, and watched as Jack slowly walked away. They both hoped that, for Carter's sake, the beast would prove inactive for even a short amount of time.