{032}

The Ties That Bind
"Recovery begins at exactly that moment when you are completely broken to pieces and must surrender to familiar and uncomfortable ways in order to be rebuilt into what you are meant to be."

-

-

". . . wake her up! I'm hungry." America groaned as she turned away from the noise, burying her face into her pillow. "Then go get food." She mumbled into the fabric, scowling as Caroline only huffed. "I am not navigating this maze and chance running into Klaus. You brought us into enemy territory so the least you can do is feed us." The woman grunted sleepily as she pushed herself up, blinking blearily at the girls sitting cross-legged at the foot of her bed. "Seriously?" Caroline nodded with an expression that spook volumes of said seriousness.

Elena shrugged. "Be glad you slept through her rant. She's been at it for at least an hour." America snorted a laugh as she pushed herself up, fighting back a yawn. "It's like our first sleepover all over again." Elena huffed a laugh as Caroline shot them both a dirty look even as she recalled that the situation was indeed similar. The trio had been five and Caroline's mom had had her first overnight shift without Bill Forbes around, leaving the young blonde to spend the night at the Gilbert's.

Despite having been to their house hundreds of times, Caroline had woken up in the early morning and refused to leave the girls' room in fear of running into the second set of parents she had. It had been an irrational fear they giggled about later but the simplicity in the situations now, thirteen years later, was as amusing then as it was now. "What's this?" Caroline had gotten to her feet, impatiently awaiting America to get out of bed but the blonde got side-tracked by the small, velvet box she had noticed earlier before Elena scolded her for snooping.

"No idea," she shrugged, "Klaus gave it to me a few days ago but I never got around to opening it." Caroline and Elena exchanged a glance before they looked back at the nonchalant young woman. "What was the occasion?" Elena asked, tilting her head curiously as she watched Caroline reach for it. America offered a shrug in response. "It's been a rough two weeks—also he hates when I cry and he's kinda resorted to giving me little gifts to make me stop. I think it's a wolf thing.

"I'm still getting my emotions under control so I'm upset over the littlest things. Rosie likes giving me pretty rocks when she notices and Chris likes to draw me pictures of the places he's been and wants to go to. Pretty sure all the hybrids give me something small when they pick up on it—even Merrick, actually." She pointed to the vase of real roses on her nightstand before she leaned over to open the top drawer, giving the pair a peek at her collection of rocks, drawings, crystals, preserved flowers and more. "So, diamonds are something small now?"

America furrowed her brows, glancing up at Caroline in bewilderment. "Diamonds?" Wordlessly, the blonde carefully angled the box down to reveal the white gold, diamond tennis bracelet inside. "Oh," she breathed, lips tugging up into a slow smile as she made grabby hands for the box. Caroline handed it over with a whining sigh, plopping down on the bed heavy enough to bounce the sisters still on it. "Why can't my boyfriend give me diamonds?" America arched an eyebrow as she examined the bracelet with a pleased grin.