Chapter 9. Panther's Liberation

Start from the beginning

"Long and fascinating, Grandfather. I'll certainly remember it for life." Lilith smiled.

"Why, thank you. You may have lunch now. Monika will serve you. After you eat you're to go to your room. Remember our agreement." His tone didn't invite arguments. "Your friend has an unfortunate knack of disappearing, I might add."

"What?" Lilith glanced around. In the hassle of their arrival, Ed slipped away. Lilith wanted to cry from disappointment. "Oh."

"You're rather fond of him, aren't you?"

Lilith blushed and hated herself for it. "We're friends."

"Not to worry, my dear girl. I shall go find your friend for you. Will see you soon." Alfred strolled out of the kitchen.

Monika let out a breath and picked up something wiggly from behind a stack of crates.

"Pan—" Lilith began, her heart beating wildly.

"Shhhh!" Monika shushed her.

Panther peeked from between two fleshy arms, a piece of steak clutched in his jaws. Lilith felt a twinge of jealousy, watching him swallow the meat and lick Monika's face, who giggled like a schoolgirl, eyes wet with adoration.

Lilith darted forward.

Panther leapt to her.

"She iz zo sweet. She iz meine kleine Prinzessin," the cook said with a loud smooch. "If zey take her away, come see me." She winked conspiratorially and began slapping food on a plate.

Ravenous a minute ago, Lilith lost her appetite.

"Excuse me. It's very sweet of you to feed me outside of normal lunch hours. However, I'm not hungry at the moment. Thank you very much."

Pressing Panther to her chest, Lilith ran out of the kitchen and sped up the marble staircase, grateful for the absence of guests. Her back crawled, sensing a penetrating stare. She skidded to a halt. Gustav stood at the end of the corridor, no doubt making sure she got into her room. Lilith entered, shut the door, and sunk to the floor.

"I can't believe she called you a princess."

"I can't believe you called Bär exquisite."

"Excuse me, dear Watson, but that was for the purpose of sweetening up my grandfather. You know that."

"Well, dear Holmes, this was for the purpose of sweetening up Monika," Panther growled. "She can call me anything she wants. Unlike some people, she went through the trouble of sneaking me out of the cage. And she fed me steak. If I may be so bold and remind you that you promised me steak as payment for—"

Lilith didn't bite. "Didn't she see that you're male?"

"She didn't take a particular interest in that part of my unique personality, if that's what you mean." He wiggled out.

"Look," Lilith said as she held Panther's head, "I'm sorry for not coming to your rescue sooner, okay? An enormous multitude of miraculous and dreadful things have happened. In fact, so many things have happened that I don't know where to begin telling you."

"It depends on where you ended," said Panther, and burped. Full of exceptional steak, he slid out of Lilith's embrace and rolled onto his back, inviting her to scratch his belly.

Lilith made to stand and slipped. She sat on a piece of paper. "Look! He left me a note!"

Panther looked at her quizzically. "He?"

"My friend Ed. Remember? The one with the flashlight? Smells like cookies?"

"Your friend?"

"Yes." Lilith migrated to the bed.