Chapter 3~ You Are Invited...

***HELLLOOOO!!! SO YEPPEROONI LETS GET INTO THIS...PLATOONIES? *various boo's* ***

Y/N'S POV

You tidied up your appartment you had been renting for the last week or two. That place was small, but not crowded. It had a nice wooden desk by the window, which over looked the busy street of New York. The bed was on the opposite wall from the desk, accomponied with a night stand. A trunk with all of your items sat at the end of the bed. Thus, that completed your room.

You werent very fond of the bathrooms and shower rooms downstairs that you had to share with everyone else. However, it won over staying on the streets. Well you techinically did have another place to stay....

You shook your head slightly to get you out of your stupor. 'No. Stop it.'. You have been trying to catch yourself before it would happen, which seemed to be frequently. You just couldn't get Alexander out of your mind.

'Maybe his hospitality? He was rather kind. Or maybe just how ledgendary his reputation is? Possibly.' Whatever excuse you attempted to make you just could not find an exact reason. Alex just seemed to be stuck in your mind.

With a sigh you continued to sweep your floors. Wanting to set your mind on something else you decided to think of home. How much your family missed you. A small ache formed in your chest thinking of your two brothers, your kind sister and mother. And, resentfully, you realized you missed your father as well. It had not gone well when he had discovered you wanted nothing to do with the family buisness.

A large shouting match occured. Which was common between the both of you anyways. But this time it was different. When he had screamed at you to just leave then, you snapped. Grabbing anything valubale you packed your suitcase and fled the next morning with a few goodbyes. The train ride was lonely. And you couldnt stop thinking of your poor mothers face...your kind sister...two brothers...

'Maybe I shoukd write to them?' You set your broom aside and gathered some writing utensils. You at at your desk and prepared to start your letter.

"Y/N?" Three knocks followed the beckoning of your name. "I suppose the letter will have to wait." You mumbled. You answered the door with a surprised smile. "Alexander? What are you doing here?"

The man let himself in and you chuckled. 'Well. I guess he is as blunt as they say.'. "Sorry to bother you, Y/N. I didnt really think about you being busy." The whole time he spoke, he studied your apartment. He calculated and assessed everything he saw. It made you flush when you realized how messy it was due to cleaning.

"Ah, pardon the mess. I have been cleaning. What is the occasion for this surprise visit?" Alex met your eyes and nodded. "Oh, right. I have been invited to the Winter Ball at Schuyler Manner this evening. So have Herculese, Lafayette, Laurens and the others. I was also informed I could bring a friend. May I assume that you are free to go?"

You raised your brows. You had heard of the very rich Schuylers. "A ball? Tonight? Alex, I dont even have a suite." You scoffed. Alex waved his hand. "You may borrow one of mine. It isnt an issue." You made a dissaproving noise. "Oh come Y/N! It will be fun and your first party in New York! There will be food, dancing, people."

"I am not very good at dancing. I am also a terrible conversationist." You wanted to say no. A ball, in a new city, with new people you have never seen? It didnt sound all that inviting. But Alex was coaxing you into it still. "Live a little, dear Y/N! We are young, its alright to make mistakes." Alex winked with a laugh. You laughed and shook your head. "Alright, alright. I accept."

You both chuckled and Alex started talking excitedly. You interrupted him. "Alexander! Slow down! I still need a suite and to prepare." Alex rolled his eyes and nodded. "Yes yes I suppose. Well then lets hurry. We will be the best looking men there! And dont call me Alexander. Its Alex

You flushed a little at noting how well Alex really will look. 'What?' You shook away the odd and slightly frightening thought. Making sure everything was in its place, you locked the door and followed Alex back to his house to prepare.

***********

Y/N'S POV

"How does it fit?" Alex's muffled voice was muffled from the other side of the door. You studied yourself in the looking glass. 'Not too shabby'. A small smirk appeared. The sleek black suite fit well, and made you look handsome. Once you slick your hair back and add a top-hat, you should be fully ready. "It fits very well! Thank you!" "Come on out then!" You wiped off a speck of dust and stepped out of the room.

You didnt quite meet his eye, for people looking at and judging you has always made you feel awkward. "So how does it look?" You chuckled awkwardly. "Uh, it looks really great.." You looked up and squirmed under Alex's wide eyes. They scanned all over your chest, waist, neck-line, etc. The odd stare made you flush. Alexander looked....awed? You decided to joke. "I am quite dashing, but I dont think I look that great..."

Alex blinks a little and looks into your eyes. "What? Oh, no, no you look...you look wonderful!" Alex flashed a smile. Your heart skipped a little. 'I do not understand. Maybe I should go to a doctor?' "So, should we leave now?" Alex nods and we go to our carriage. You felt guilty about not returning a compliment, so you try to think of something nice to mention.

You notice his nicely slicked back hair, tied with a neat bow. How it showed off those lovely features. And his smooth, dark suite complimented his darker skin.... Noticing that you were blatantly staring, you quickly looked to the window. You coughed a little for a conversation starter. "Alexander, I wanted to mention that you also look great tonight." You saw him smirk at you out of your peripherals.

"Thank you."

Why does he smile that way? Your thoughts began to run away with you again. You both continued in comfterable silence. Around 20 minutes later, Schuyler Manner came into view.

"Ready for a party?" Alexander tugged at his suite, slicking back his hair. You took a deep breathe, nerves jittery. "Absolutely."