Chapter Twenty-Five: Maybe Tomorrow

Start from the beginning

"Wes! Oh Wes, darling!"

It was Patsy. She gave him a wry smile as she hurried towards him, her deep blue eyes sparkling.

"I heard you on the radio," she breathed. " I was just around the corner, meeting with my agent when it came on. Made my heart skip a beat! I'm so happy for you!"

She was stunning, the kind of girl that left a man's mouth gaping when she walked by. She exuded an aura of confidence that demanded attention and respect, no doubt cultivated from the upbringing of two high class, prestigious parents.

Every inch of her was sculpted to perfection. From her perfectly curled and pinned golden hair, to her supple hips and long, creamy legs. She giggled as she wrapped her arms around him, kissing his cheek. Her lips felt warm and full against his skin.

He was moving up in life. His record on the radio, and a beautiful woman at his side. It was what he'd always wanted. They weren't officially a couple, but for the last few weeks, he was happy to keep her company in between their busy schedules. Patsy knew Hollywood inside and out. Her father was a big time movie producer who rubbed elbows with many of Hollywood's top stars like Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor.

She shared his passion for music as well as his dream of stardom. The only difference was that she had a lot more to fall back on if it didn't work out. Her father sent her and her sisters a generous monthly stipend. They lived in an upscale apartment with a bellman and authentic pieces of art on the walls. But even without their father's help, the Carmody Sisters were making a name for themselves in their own right.

"I still say you should meet with my agent," she said, her blue eyes studying him. "He's waiting on your call."

He scratched the back of his neck, "Your agent? What about your sisters?"

Her dark lashes fluttered. "Well, our agent, for now anyway." She smiled, tugging on the strap of her purse. "I'm looking at doing a solo project."

"Oh." He wondered if her sisters knew she was meeting with their agent alone. He decided not to ask.

"Judd followed through," he said. "We're on the radio. We couldn't leave him know, not after all he's done for us."

Patsy sighed, running her hand over his jaw bone, her eyes laughing. "You are new to the business, sweetheart," she said. Her look turned serious. "All I'm saying is, don't put all your eggs in one basket. My connections are talking about Judd. They say he's turned down some mighty fine deals lately when it comes to the groups he manages. You should ask him about that, at least. I don't want to see you get taken advantage of, that's all."

He nodded, feeling unsettled.

Patsy grabbed his hand. "Oh gosh! I'm so sorry, my dear Wesley. I didn't mean to bring you down. We should be celebrating! Let's go to the Bop tonight. You, me, my sisters, Hank and Gene."

"Sure," said Wes with a smile. "I'm going to call my father and tell him the news. I'll meet you there tonight."

Patsy looked somewhat deflated as she bid him goodbye and walked off down the street. He hadn't meant to dismiss her so quickly, he'd just felt suddenly sick in the pit of his stomach over the thought that Judd could have kept any deals from him and the band. Pushing those thoughts behind, he let the excitement of their radio debut flood back as he entered the phone booth.

His father answered on the first ring, his voice grating over the line. "Salve?"

"Hello! Hello, Papa!" Wes burst into the phone, overjoyed to hear his voice. He rested his hand on the glass of the phone booth, turning his back to the street. "It's Wes, calling from Los Angeles!"