“If you see a ladder,” he whispers as we start walking again. “and I’m not around, don’t wait for me. I’ll find it sooner or ladder.”

“You’re so lame.” I tell him. He laughs.

He walks a little bit in front of me, his shoulders swaying from side to side, almost like he’s trying to seem cool. I chuckle a little bit and he turns around and walks backwards. “Hmm?”

I just shake my head. We walk in silence for a minute and I can’t help but think about Celeste. We left her with people we didn’t know. People with weapons and intel and - if they see her scar - even more knowledge. They’ll know just how to torture her. They’ll get whatever information they want. They won’t need her after a while. Eventually…

“Axios, it’s eating me alive,” I spit it out quickly like food that was way too hot, on the verge of tears. He turns around and then he sighs. He approaches me like a mother would her crying child, but I can’t help but feel like when he stands close to me and I feel so small it also feels romantic. It’s the first time we’ve ever been so close to being just two people and not a whole group. It makes me nervous but excited at the same time and the guilt is crunching my thoughts from the inside out. I try to control myself but I still end up screaming, “we have to turn around, we can’t just leave her!”

“We left Bry too, are you going to complain about that?” Axios retorts, his tongue like a whip. Suddenly, less romantic. He shifts in his spot and his gaze lands on all the bare walls he can see, but he won’t look at me. I can’t tell if he regrets what he said or if he doesn’t know what to say next. All I want is him to show some remorse. He sighs. “They’re… They’re not dead yet. I’d appreciate it if you stop acting like that, okay?” When his eyes meet mine, I know he feels it. I nod. He’s so much more brave than I am. When we find a ladder, I suggest that I go first.

“No way.” He starts climbing up the ladder. “You don’t have powers. It’s only logical that I go first because I can fend off anyone who’s outside.”

Axios can manipulate heat. Candles, computers, even people. Make him angry and he can start a fire. Make him furious and he can freeze you to death as slowly and painfully or as quickly  and peacefully as he pleases. Fire gives him energy and the the more heat he draws the more he can conduct. I’ve always seen it as a really cool power and a huge advantage in a fight, but he only sees himself as a monster. I can feel the air gradually being replaced with suspense as each of our footsteps echo throughout the sewer.  He slightly lifts the top off the manhole so he can peek around.

“See anything?” I ask.

“Even if I did, it’s freezing.” He replies. He lifts the manhole cover with a grunt and puts it to the side, pulling himself out and then turning around for me. I lift my hands up, letting myself fall backwards a little bit. He catches my wrists and I almost panic. What if he realizes there is no scar? When he lifts me out, we both have the same reaction.

“Oh my God.”

The street is completely normal, like no evidence of war has ever been seen. A completely intact hospital is to our left, tall, wide, and proud, a huge red cross on the side. I can’t help but imagine that through one of those many windows, a baby’s wrist is being burned. A perfectly fine brick school to our right, kids laughing and playing like they have nothing to worry about. One little boy stops and stares at us, then all the rest of them turn around and do the same.

“Put the top back on!” Axios says quickly before I can sort through my mind what’s going on. The hole is already covered when I bend down to fix it. Axios grabs my arm and lifts me back up, then whispers in my ear from behind me, “This place is absolutely insane. Are you seeing what I’m seeing, or is this a dream?”