Karen

"I gotta find a place to land"

It's now March 5th, Elijah's first birthday. He's just recently started walking and can say a handful of words. Now that he's walking, we have the entire house baby gated. Elijah literally gets into everything he can get his hands on. His favorite thing to do is open cupboards and pull everything out. We've had to put locks on the drawers and cabinets. Aubree hates it because she can't figure out how to open them herself which is actually pretty funny.

Aubree turned six in January and we had a birthday party at the bowling alley. She was excited to invite the kids from her class at school. It's amazing to see how far she's come in school. Aubree's friend Avery is in a dance class and Aubree has been begging us to put her in. We found a dance studio in Nashville that offers lessons that work out with our tour schedule. It took a little research to find a place for Aubree that had classes in the beginning of the week when we are always home. Her first class starts Tuesday and she is so excited. She's a little disappointed that she isn't at the same place as Avery, but we told her it was this place or no dance lessons so she agreed.

Elijah's birthday lands on a Friday this year so we are having a small party with just close friends and family at our house tomorrow. It's going to be similar to the one we had for Aubree's first birthday. Jimi is going to grill out and we're going to have a little barbeque outside since the weather is going to be nice.

It's just reaching 6:00 in the morning and everyone is still in bed. I don't normally get Aubree up until 6:30 and I couldn't sleep anymore. I just can't believe my little baby boy is one already. I decided to climb out of bed and go downstairs and make a pot of coffee. Once it was ready, I poured myself a cup and went outside and sat on the porch swing to watch the sun rise. I haven't done this in a while. It's kind of nice to have some peace and quiet. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids to the moon and back, but sometimes I need some time for myself and I don't get that very often.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the patio door slide open. I looked down at my phone and it was a little after 6:15.

"The sunrise is beautiful this morning" Jimi said and sat next to me on the swing.

"Yeah, it is" I said and smiled at him. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"He's one today" I whispered.

"It seems like just yesterday we were bringing him home from the hospital" he said.

"And now he's walking and talking" I said and let out a small giggle.

"And I thank God every day that you're here to see it" he said quietly and kissed the top of my head.

"Me too" I whispered.

"I love you so much" Jimi said. I could tell he was getting emotional. The day Elijah was born is still a touchy subject for him and I completely understand. It was a rough day for both of us, but we always think of the positives. We got Elijah that day.

I lifted my head off his shoulder and looked up at him. "I love you too" I said and kissed him.

I looked down at my phone and it was 6:30. "I should go get Aubree up" I said.

"Are you going to take her to school or should I?" I asked.

"I'll take her" Jimi said and I nodded. I headed up to Aubree's room and woke her up. I laid out her clothes for the day and she got dressed then I did her hair. Elijah was still asleep, so I let him be. We've been letting him sleep until he wakes up, which is usually between 7:00 and 7:30.