Chapter 8 - Strictly Business, Ms. Ross

*Skylar's POV*

As soon as I ran out the door, I didn't know where I was going. I pulled of my shoes and just sat down on the front steps of our house. I put my feet down on the warm asphalt and let the warmth flow through me and relax me. I picked up my sweater and took my car keys out of my pocket.

Sitting in the drivers seat, I pulled on my shoes and turned the key, starting the car. I was startled by a sudden knock at my window, and I turned around to see a very nervous looking Niall.

Rolling down my window, I roll my eyes while asking if I could help him. Scratching the back of his neck, he said "Liam said that as your babysitters, we shouldn't let you leave the house alone."

There was really only one place I wanted to go after the incident with Harry. To the cemetery, I haven't talked to my dad and little bro in a while. The picture was supposed to remind me of good times with them, but instead each time I saw it it sort of tore another piece out of me.

Stepping out of the car, I motioned him towards the seat previously occupied by me. "Waiting for an invitation, shamrock?" "Real original, Skylar." he said as he narrowed his eyes at me. I shrugged as I walked over to the passenger's side and sat down. He got in, asking me where we were headed.

Giving him the address to the cemetery, he slowly rolled out of the driveway but increased speed as we drove along, now on the road. Our conversation had seemed to dry up. Niall tried to talk about random thing to lighten the mood, but I wasn't in the mood.

"Hey, Shamrock?" "Its Niall, but what's your question?" "You know we aren't friends, right?" He responded with a serious face "Of course not. This is strictly business, Ms. Ross." For a second, I worried I had actually offended him. Hey, just cause I'm pissed doesn't mean its okay to be straight out rude for no reason at all. My fears, however, subsided at the sound of his laughter booming through the car.

I had actually laughed a little with him, when he seemed to stop all of a sudden and park the car. He nodded his head at the window on my side, indicating we had arrived. He started to ask if I needs company, but I cut him off with a firm no. I needed a little time alone, at least for now. Thankfully, he seemed to understand that, and told me he'd be waiting for me in the car. I walked through a small commemorative garden and before I knew it, I was in front of their stones.

It'd been a while since I had cone to "chat" with my dad and brother. Whenever I had a lot on my mind, I came here and just talked to them as if they were still here, telling them everything and anything I needed to. For the first time in about a month, I stood here once again, managing to croak out "Hey daddy".

For the next half hour, I sat there. Just rambling, telling them about things that happened this week, last week and the week before that. Usually, I felt better after talking to them. This time was not the exception, as I felt about a thousand pounds lighter. Still, I was sad. Sad that they were truly gone.

I started to cry, something I had stopped doing at the cemetery. I usually waited until I was at home in my room, but I felt like this time I couldn't control it. These tears weren't just sad tears, though. They were stress tears, anger tears, resentment tears. I let go of everything the past couple of days had built up inside of me.

I heard footsteps behind me, and felt a warm hand on my shoulder. I turned around, and Niall was standing right there. He offered his hand, I I took it and got up. Stubborn as I was, and always had been, I refused to start crying in front of him.

I saw him hesitate, but he opened his arms anyways. I crashed into him, appreciating the warmth of the hug. We parted, and he slung his arm around my shoulders loosely as we walked back to the car.

Yeah, this summer was going to suck. What eighteen year old needs a babysitter? But, Niall might be the one to make this summer a little better for me. Or I might hate him.Who knows?