Chapter 18 - Learn

The last watch of the night was mine.

Actually, since I owed Sle for removing the two annoying and inadequate "applicants" to our clan, the entire night's watch had been mine. I groaned and stretched, ignoring the way the trunk I was leaning on dug its jagged bark into my back. The slight pain seemed dulled in my sleepy state.

The night had been long though, thankfully, dawn was approaching. Already the fuzzy darkness of night was clearing and the sky had become grey. I could hear the rustling of wings above me as birds began to awake from their slumbers. Their harsh calls and responses echoed between the still dark woods as if the trees were speaking to each other.

A sudden breeze swept through the camp. Though I shivered from the sudden intrusion of cold air, I pushed my face into the chilly wind, breathing deeply. The scent of the woods was sharp and fresh; when I reopened by eyes, I felt invigorated and ready. I took a few quick breaths before screaming at the top of my lungs.

The woods fell silent under my wordless screech though shuffling and cursing could be heard from beneath the lean-tos where my family was sheltered.

Seolo stumbled from his lean-to, grabbing at his loose clothes to preserve his modesty as he ran towards me, eyes wild with panic. The boughs of Quala's lean-to were throw in every direction as she burst out, cursing at the rough bark.  Ellerin's head peeked out her shelter as her eyes darted over our camp, searching for an enemy. Chael, by some miracle, seemed to still be snoring away, oblivious to the panic around him. He didn't even stir when Ellerin began poking, prodding, and pulling him in every direction.

I glared at Chael, frowning. I wish I could sleep like that -- the lucky barta. Light consciences sleep heavy, I suppose.

"Canium!"

I glanced back at the panic-stricken Seolo. He was crouching before me for some reason, and looked positively terrified. He was speaking in a very ineffective whisper.

"Are they invading us? Where are they?" He peered furtively around. Meeting Quala's approaching gaze, he gestured at her slightly. She immediately crouched as well, drawing her machete smoothly. Their sudden stillness caught Ellerin's eye and she froze, still clutching Chael's limp arm.

A sudden roar-like bellow snapped the two prepared adolescences heads back to the other lean-tos. Ellerin's eyes opened even wider and she seemed to have stopped breathing, petrified at the monstrous noises. The grumbling and groaning sounded menacing and seemed to be coming from the far side of the camp. Quala shifted her low stance, giving herself a bit more options to move. Seolo crept around my legs, along the nearby trees, eyeing the direction from where the sinister growling seemed to be coming from.

Another loud roar, stopped the two in their tracks, tense with anticipation. 

Sle's head popped out of his lean-to. "Morning." He said, much too chipper for my liking.

His raised voice drew simultaneous hushes from both Quala and Seolo. He spared a glance at their awkward "battle" stances and raised an eyebrow. I tilted my head slightly towards him and let a slight smile lift one of the corners of  my mouth.

Sle's nose twitched.

Sliding very slowly out of his lean-to he made a worried face as he mouthed "Sorry" to the little warriors. He pointed to the forest, questioning them silently. Quala nodded and pointed to a spot in the woods a bit to Sle's left. Sle crawled slowly towards the direction she had indicated. He was  just about to reach the rustling bushes before he stopped, tension stiffening his entire body.

Sle waved Quala and Seolo back, a panicked look on his face. With a sudden movement, he launched himself into the thicket with a yell. Quala and Seolo got up and ran after him, screaming with vicious intent.