Oh, I see how it is.

“Sure.” I give her a sweet smile.

“Okay, this Saturday. Ten o’clock.” She says with a smile. “See you there.”

“Bye.” I wave. The second she turns around I roll my eyes the most sarcastically I ever have before. “Bitch.” I mutter under my breath.

“Who? Me?” Luke asks from behind me.

I laugh. “No, not you. Marigold Summers.”

“Why? I mean, besides the obvious reasons.”

“Well she was all ‘Mark got he what he deserved. Girl power! OMG, now bring your hot friends to a carnival this weekend so I can be a whore and fuck them behind the booths!’” I say, my voice higher and annoying.

“Is that really what she said? And I’m pretty sure she doesn’t talk like that.”

“Well, that’s what she was implying. And yes, she does. In my world.”

“Are you going to the carnival?”

“Fuck no, Luke! Of course I’m not!” I tell him like it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

He shrugs. “Sorry.”

“I mean, I’ll go if I can think of some devious plan, but this isn’t a book, Luke. This is real life! I’m not as creative as I’d like to be!”

“Your life sure would be interesting as a book.” He tells me, laughing.

“Fuck off.” I tell him. “Where’s Michael?”

“Not sure.”

“Well, I have to meet Calum by the tree. Wanna come?”

“Sure.” He says. We walk out of the school and head to the tree I stand by every single day.

“Calum’s not there.” I whine. “Where is everyone?”

“Still don’t know.” Luke says.

I roll my eyes. I look around the parking lot. “Their car isn’t even here! They left me!” I check my phone. No notifications. “Luke, can you pretty please drive me home?”

“Might as well. I was going to your house anyway.” He tells me, smiling.

“Do you even go home anymore?” I ask.

“Nope. I’m surprised your mum never found out about the party.”

“I’m not. Ashton and I do this every time she leaves town. It’s like a neighborhood secret. We all know, but she doesn’t.”

“Well, how about that ride?” Luke asks, chuckling nervously.

“Yeah, sure.” I start walking and Luke pulls my arm.

“I’m parked over here.”
“Luke, your car is right-” My voice trails off and my eyes widen.

“Fuck.” Luke mutters under his breath.

“I’m gonna walk home.” I tell him, pulling away from his grasp and sprinting down the street. I feel like I’m gonna throw up.

~~~

“Stop crying.” Ashton tells me, rubbing my back. “Please, stop crying.”

“I can’t-” I choke out. I bury my face into his shirt and he sighs.

“Just because you saw him with another girl doesn’t mean he’s-”
“They were kissing.” I tell him. “They were making out against the fence.”