Chapter 13

"Yes, his body was found in the middle of Lake County Street by a passerby," a deep, yet muted voice says. An invisible heaviness keeps my eyes closed and my brain feels drained in all sorts of places. It feels like my body is being pressed down onto the mattresses beneath me, and the thin sheets make my skin feel numb. "We don't know why he was there, but thank god someone found him before a wild animal got to him." His voice becomes less distant as I slowly start to catch my senses. Slowly, one eye opens.

"Is he going to be okay?" I see Cheryl and Ezra standing a few feet away, his arm wraps around her shoulders as she crosses her arms. I quickly take in my surroundings. White wall paint, blinding lights, a bunch of beds, white lab coats and scrubs. I'm in a hospital. Great.

"He's going to be just fine," the doctor answers. He has sandy blonde hair that presses against the tanned skin of his forehead. His chocolate colored eyes sit dimly behind his huge frames, and his body gives him a pretty square appearance. He looks young, maybe mid-thirties. "Our staff took special care of him, they seemed to develop quite a liking for him. It just looks like he was exhausted, hence the reason for his passing out. I'd just try from now on to keep him out of the streets and closer to home, and make sure that he's getting the sleep he needs."

"That's not a problem, thanks Doc," Ezra smiles while firmly gripping the doctor's hand in a handshake.

"Thank you," Cheryl nods.

"You're free to take him home as soon as he wakes up," the doctor informs before leaving.

"Oh my god! Adam-bum-bum!" Her shrill penetrates my ears like a needle tearing through skin. Cheryl's body slams on top of mine as she engulfs me in a breathtaking, literally, hug. "I was so worried when Ezra told me you were in the hospital. He said you were going to die."

"Calm down honey, those words never came out of my mouth," Ezra interjects before facing me. Meanwhile, Cheryl is still hugging the crap out of me. "Why the hell were you laying in the middle of the street?"

"Cheryl, can you get off me. It kind of hurts," I try to say using the remainder of air left in me.

"Oh, right. Sorry!" She removes her body from mine but continues to sit on the edge of my bed.

"Um, hello? Explain," Ezra pushes, taking a seat on a stool that sits nearby.

"It's . . . complicated," I answer. Mostly because I'm not sure if what I think happened actually did. The last thing I remember is meeting this guy, Rawiri, and drinking something pink. After that, nothing. It's just black. But I can't tell them that. How am I going to explain it? Yeah, I went biking for a couple hours after being harassed in a coffee shop for kissing Steve and coincidentally ended up in the same place I was for three hours the night before and passed out after drinking one tiny glass? They're going to think I'm even more of a wimp than I already am. I finally have friends that aren't Frank, and I don't want to lose them.

"Um, so my mom thought I had a threesome when you guys left my apartment without clothes this morning," I input, trying to change the subject.

"What," Ezra laughs. "How?"

"Well, I wouldn't be against that idea," Cheryl murmurs, low and husky but definitely loud enough for both Ezra and me to hear. As if choreographed, Ezra and I turn to look at Cheryl with the biggest "WTF" face we can muster. "Just saying," she shrugs.

Attempting to change the topic again, I say, "How'd you guys even know I was here?"

"They called me," Ezra answers.

"But I don't have your numbers," I reply quizzically.

"Actually, you do," Ezra continues, "We exchanged them at your place last night. Man, you had to have been drunk, your memory is crazy."