Chapter Eight

Rosalee and Monroe were walking up to their front door after arriving home from the Spice Shop. When they opened it, they were immediately greeted with the aromas of different spices and cooking ingredients. They entered the house and turned a corner, finding Eve in the kitchen making dinner.

"Eve?" Rosalee asked as she walked in.

"Right here," Eve said, moving a bowl to a different location on the counter. Her hair was tied back like it always was, but she had a few dark strands hanging in front of her face. "I made dinner," she said. "I figured it was the least I could do after everything that you've done for me," she admitted. Her trip to another world appeared to be a transformative one because she came back in a lot better mood. Or maybe the fact that she was showing any kind of mood at all was what was so different about her...

"Thank you," Rosalee said. "We appreciate that."

"It smells good," Monroe said. "What is it?"

"Honey pepper cedar plank vegan salmon," Eve answered, smiling slightly. Did she look shy? Rosalee thought she might.

"This is going to be good," Monroe promised Rosalee.

"It's ready when you are," Eve said

"Great! I'm starving!" Monroe almost shouted. Juliette had been an excellent cook, and he figured Eve wouldn't be any different.

They gathered their food and took it to the table. Eve was going to take her plate upstairs with her and eat alone in the guest room, but Rosalee said she would be happier if Eve joined them. They ate together, talked about their day, and shared some stories. Monroe and Eve worked as a team to describe their first dinner at Nick's house a lifetime ago where Monroe asked Juliette for the salmon recipe after he and Nick screwed up their story of how they met. They were all laughing by the end of it.

Rosalee and Monroe also asked Eve questions relating to Nick's case. Eve said she couldn't remember finding anything in the books about people becoming Wesen, and there was barely any information about people becoming Hexenbiests, either.

*************

When dinner was done, everyone worked to clean up the mess. That was also finished quickly which was when Eve decided to go upstairs so Monroe and Rosalee could have their alone time.

"That was nice," Rosalee noted.

"Yeah," Monroe said. "It almost felt like we had normal lives for a minute there."

"Almost," Rosalee said jokingly. She smiled at Monroe as he held her in his arms. "I know we worried about how safe Portland was for starting a family," Rosalee said.

"How could we not? With Nick's cases? Black Claw? All of the recent bad company? I think anyone would agree that those would raise a few concerns," Monroe agreed with wide eyes as he mentally ran through his checklist of Portland's catastrophes.

"But I like the idea of living with our family," Rosalee said.

"Like, my parents? Or your family? I don't know if-" Monroe began to object anxiously.

"No!" Rosalee yelled, laughing. "No, I mean our extended family. Nick, and Adalind, and Hank. I don't think I could stand leaving everyone."

"Me neither," Monroe agreed. "I think we can make Portland work for us. But I've been wondering about what to do with the shop. I mean, after our children are born, how are we going to keep it running? Most people can't work a job with one kid, and especially not three! How will we figure everything out? Like who will do what? And when? And how?" Monroe's concern was bubbling over. Though Rosalee was positive that he would be a great father, Monroe wasn't convinced. On top of that, they both had to worry about how to take care of three new children while keeping their livelihoods in tact.