Chapter 28 - The Darkness

Start from the beginning

Honestly, considering all that's going on in my life right now, working on a science project seems so normal and mundane, but I gladly accept the distraction with open arms.

After first period, Zion stuck to me like glue. I pretended it was really unnecessary but deep down, I was glad he didn't leave me alone. I was just happy he wasn't at Jessica's beck and call anymore.

But by fourth period he was getting way too clingy which made me uncomfortable because he always so close to me.

I couldn't handle it anymore so I managed to ditch him, using the sound of the lunch bell as a distraction to sneak to the restroom, avoiding both Zion and possibly Jessica.

While I was in the bathroom stall, I couldn't help but think about what I would do if she attacked me right here right now.

Probably scream and drop my phone in the toilet.

How pathetic.

I finished up and and went to go wash my hands when I saw another message smeared in red paint on the bathroom mirror.

I can get to you anywhere, anytime bitch.

Does she think this is some low budget horror movie?

How did she get in here and write that message so fast?

I ran out of the bathroom, hoping to still catch her and end this once and for all.

But instead of catching the culprit red handed - red handed because she used red paint. See what I did there? Haha.- I bumped into a really pissed off looking Zion.

"Why the hell did you run off? I thought Jessica got to you. Do you know how scared I was? Are...are you crying? Jamie what the hell happened?" He asked, his voice turned harsh to soft in seconds.

I didn't even realize the tears on my own face before he pointed it out.

"It was Jessica she... " I couldn't even complete my sentence before I burst into tears, my sobs taking over my voice.

Why was I even crying? Is this what fear felt like? Or was I just upset because this opened up old wounds from how I was mistreated back in California?

Zion didn't say anything. He just nodded, pulled me close to him and held me like that until I calmed down a little.

People were starting to stare but I didn't care what they thought of me anymore.

Zion was giving me exactly what I needed, arms that I felt safe in.

"I love you." I said before I could stop the words flying out of my mouth.

"I know and I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. I promise." He whispered holding me even tighter.

"I believe you." I said meaning it.

Somehow I knew he would never let Jessica get to me.

We decided to skip lunch and I pretended to be sick so I didn't have to go the rest of my classes.

They didn't let me go home but they let Zion stay with me in the sick bay.

School was finally over and Zion walked me to his car. There was something different about us. We had somehow gotten closer, if that was even possible.

"Ready to go?" He asked while opening the car door for me.

"No, not yet. Jesse is coming along." I said remembering our science project.

"Text him and tell him to hurry up then." He groaned.

Surprised he didn't put up more of a fight, I got out my phone and sent Jesse a text saying we were waiting for him in the parking lot.

"He said he needs help carrying supplies for the project." I said reading the text he sent back, almost immediately.

"I'll go with you." Zion offered.

"No it's fine. I'll only be a minute." I smiled.

"Are you sure?" He asked skeptical.

"Don't worry about me." I said and ran off without giving him a chance to respond.

I found Jesse rummaging around in the supply closet.

"Hey." I said announcing my presence.

"Oh hey. Where were you at lunch?" He said.

"Long story. I'll tell you when we get the hell out of here."

"Okay. Just help me grab that poster board. I thought we could use it for our project. "

"Okay." I said grabbing it. It was pretty long and was practically blocking my field of vision.

"I'm right behind you." He said while grabbing pile of random supplies.

We were out of the building and I led the way to the other side of the parking lot where Zion parked.

Suddenly I heard the sound of screeching tyres and the rest happened in slow motion.

"Jamie watch out!" A voice yelled.

I was shoved out of the way and then a car hit something at lightning speed.

A seemingly lifeless body fell to the ground.

"No! " I screamed.

*Jesse's Pov*

Fear.

Pain.

Darkness.

A/N- (_)

Comment what you thought and please consider voting if you enjoyed the chapter.

Did you like this chapter?

Who do you ship now?

What do you think will happen next?