Chapter 28 - The Darkness

*Jamie's Pov*

I stared at the note again in disbelief.

Row row row your boat gently off a cliff.

I'm gonna kill you today.

You will not be missed.
-J

Are you kidding me?

This shit barely even rhymed.

"What does it say?" Jesse asked when he noticed my face go pale.

I handed it over to him and watched as he and Zion read the contents of the letter, waiting for their reaction.

"She sent you a death threat?" Zion asked slightly outraged.

"Oh please, the only thing that is dying is poetry." I joked trying to laugh it off.

"Jamie, this isn't funny." He chastised me. Then he turned to Jesse and said "Can't you keep your mentally deranged sister on a leash?"

I waited for Jesse to protest, saying Jessica wasn't crazy but he didn't.

"I don't even know where she is." Jesse answered.

"You don't think she's serious, is she?" I asked when I noticed the look of fear and worry in his eye.

"At this point it's hard to tell. Her obsession with Zion seems to be making her mentally unstable. She could be capable of anything." Jesse said.

Even murder?

Sure, she was a real bitch but surely she isn't capable of taking away someone's life, right?

"What do you mean capable of anything? Is she gonna come after Jamie?" Zion asked, looking like he wanted to punch a wall at this point.

"Dude, I'm not a psychologist but ever since she met you, she's been different. She describes you like a prize to be won and to her, Jamie is the only opponent standing in her way." Jesse said.

"So what? She's gonna take her out? Is this some fun game to her?" Zion asked, clearly frustrated.

Take me out?

Consider me officially terrified.

"Stop it! You're scaring Jamie." Jesse said reading my thoughts.

"I'm not scared." I said trying to reassure them but I'm pretty sure the crack in my voice gave me away.

"Jamie it's okay. I won't leave your side." Jesse said.

"Really? You only have first period with her while I have the exact same schedule as her. So I'll protect her. " Zion argued.

Really? This is not happening.

"Hello? I'm right here and just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I'm a damsel in distress. I can protect myself against Jessica. "

Can I? I've never even been in a fight before.

"At least let me watch over you.'' Zion said.

"Whatever. Just don't make a big deal out of it. She could be bluffing for all we know." I said feigning nonchalance.

They both reluctantly nodded in agreement but despite what I just said, I had a feeling I would be looking over my shoulder for the entirety of the school day. Like this place wasn't hell enough already.

Thank you Jessica.

First period went by quickly. Jesse and I were reminded that we were behind on our science project which was due next week so we agreed he would follow me home so we could work on it today.