"I... I don't know what to make of this. What did you say?"

"I said yes of course," the long haired master answered in mild surprise. "I would have done just about anything to get him off my back about taking a padawan, but to get my wish all I have to do is help a youngling... How could I refuse?" he finished as he placed an entire sliver of sandwich into his mouth. Mace thought in silence for a few moments more before shrugging his shoulders and reaching for a small pastry.

"Speaking of padawans, did you see Vresh?"

"I did," Qui-Gon replied as he wiped his fingers on a napkin. "I must say I was surprised to see that it was true, that he had taken another padawan. After... well let's just say I didn't expect it."

"No one did to be honest with you."

"What made him change his mind?" Qui-Gon asked. Mace smiled mischievously.

"Why? Afraid it may happen to you?" he smirked. Qui-Gon put on his most serious face though a twinkle of mirth could still be seen within the depths of his dark, blue eyes.

"Know thy enemy, Mace. Know thy enemy."

"You are truly incorrigible, old friend," Mace retorted with a laugh. "But truthfully, I have no idea what changed his mind. He hasn't offered and I haven't asked. I'm just glad he did. He seems... much happier now."

Despite his own reluctance to take on another apprentice, Qui-Gon was forced to concede that point.

"Yes, he does and if this is what he wants, what will keep him happy, then I wish him all the blessings the Force can offer. He deserves it," Qui-Gon said as he finished his last bite. Mace titled his head as he looked at his friend closely.

"And you don't?"

"I don't what?"

"Don't deserve to be happy?"

"Mace."

"It's a simple question, Qui-Gon."

"What's on the reader, Mace?" he replied as he gestured to the forgotten data reader sitting on a nearby end table.

"You're changing the subject, Qui."

"I am indeed. Now, what's on the reader?" Qui-Gon repeated. Mace pursed his lips and sighed at his obstinate friend, but he did pick up the reader and hand it over the table.

"I came across some interesting information in this morning's Council session. I thought you would be interested," he replied as he went to the kitchen to refresh both of their tea cups. Qui-Gon quietly scanned the contents of the documents he had been presented. By the time Mace returned to the table, the reader was down and his eyes were wide in surprise and disbelief.

"Tomorrow?"

"Indeed," Mace said as he handed Qui-Gon a fresh cup. "Tahl's transport will arrive late morning."

"How long has it been since all four of us were on planet at the same time?"

"Probably not since Severin," Mace answered quietly. Qui-Gon looked up from his reverie for a moment and caught the glimpse of regret in his friend's dark brown eyes.

"Yes, I think you're right," he answered as he turned his tea cup between his fingers. "We should change that."

"What do you suggest?"