For the Asking

Some spoilers from Jedi Apprentice.
No betas, therefore the mistakes are all mine.
See chapter one for disclaimers.

"What is a lightsaber?"

"Master?"

"What is a lightsaber?"

"A lightsaber is the main defensive tool of a Jedi. It is the focus point for our Force sense."

"Nothing more?"

"It... um... it...," the young Felinoid stammered. Her master finally took pity on her and knelt before her, resting a hand on her slender shoulder.

"A lightsaber," he began as he placed his own unlit saber in her small paw. "Is more than a weapon. It is more than a tool. It is even more than a focus point. It is an extension of ourselves in everyway. It is an extension of our Force abilities. It is an extension of our will and..." he said as he stretched out the short arm that cradled his saber hilt. "It is an extension of our bodies. Your arm is merely extended by the blade, it is no less a part of you."

"A really cool part of you that can cut through almost anything," she said with a toothy grin. Her master answered with a half smile of his own.

"Indeed, you little scamp," he replied as he brushed against her whiskers; an obvious sign of affection among her species. "This hilt," he began again, "is an extension of me. When I wield it, it becomes a part of myself as integral as a hand or a foot. When you build your own saber you will learn to think of it the same way."

"So it is true?" a baritone voice rang out from within the training salle. Both master and apprentice glanced up to see the tall form of a Jedi Master approach. The young girl's master smiled and rose to his feet. He reached out and eagerly embraced the new arrival.

"Qui-Gon, you old scoundrel! When did you get back?"

"Just yesterday," Qui-Gon replied as the two old friends separated, each giving the other a once over. The other master was as tall as Qui-Gon, but with short white hair and golden skin. He had startling silver eyes and a deep scar that gave all of his expressions a rakish quality. Indeed, this was the man Qui-Gon remembered, a little older, a little more worn around the edges, but still the same soul he had known from the crèche. Qui-Gon finally let his eyes drift to the small child quietly holding a hilt much too large for her.

"So, it is true?" he repeated. The other master's smile grew wider as he placed an arm around the girl's shoulders.

"It is. Qui, allow me to introduce you to my padawan, Lantis Mir. Lani," he said turning to the girl, "this is Master Qui-Gon Jinn, one of my oldest friends."

"Master Jinn," the Felinoid purred with a deep bow. Qui-Gon returned the gesture with a small smile.

"Padawan Mir, it is a pleasure," the long haired master spoke in his most melodic tones.

"Now you stop that right now, Qui. No charming of my padawan. Get your own," the other master laughed, but immediately he saw the slight stiffening in his friend at his words. "Ah, so he's after you again."

"Vresh, you have no idea."

"Well, actually I have some," the shorter haired master answered, but before Qui-Gon could comment, Vresh turned to his small charge. "Lani, would you mind if I interrupted your lesson to spar with Master Qui-Gon?" he asked then he turned to Qui-Gon. "That is if you're feeling up to it?"