Chapter 45- Three Bright Paths

Start from the beginning

"Pancham!" I shrieked, slapping away his hand in an instant. "Not yet! Breakfast is almost ready."

Ensuing each Pokepuff was flourished with a sprinkle of berries and making sure Delphox's was the only one coming in contact with tomato berry, I gazed upon my royal teams feast. They were far too spoilt.

"Sylveon! Delphox! Milotic! Breakfast is ready!" I bellowed through the household, amplitude almost loud enough to corrupt the lovely pottery dotted throughout. The trio trotted into the kitchen with a mixture of elegance and haste. A Queen's Pokemon should remain the embodiment of poise even when offstage.

I had caught Milotic in Hoenn, as a naive Feebas after an unfortunate incident. Back then he wasn't a sight to behold, but still a humble and amiable creature. Performance was a hard prospect to teach at first, but upon evolution, Milotic excelled. Some now say he's the most graceful fish to dance on stage.

Florges was obtained after my arrival in Kalos. She was already ambitious about performing when we met, in fact, through the debuts. As a Floette, she was supple and lithe, the perfect balletic accent to any performance.

I served each Pokemon their breakfast Pokepuff before grabbing the apartment keys and my hat. Giving an ample smile, I bid them a quick goodbye.

"I'll be back later this morning so don't break anything. I'm going to Slurpuff's Corner to meet Elaina for breakfast. When I come back all fragile vases should be perfectly in tack, do you hear me?" I questioned as my team scoffed down their treats. My responses were halfhearted grunts between bites of food.

Nonetheless, I headed out the house for the most disastrous breakfast of my life.

*.                         *.                        *.                          *.  

The Kalos morning was cordial. With its cloudless sky inked with subtle brushstrokes of blue and lush vegetation strewed between streets and sidewalks. The boulevards always clung to a smell of buttered pastries and candy glazes, which tingled the senses of any sweet tooth in the most childish way possible. And the population of shopaholics seemed to stretch far and wide in Lumiose City. It was the center of all things desirable.

Slurpuff's Corner was a cafe that double functioned as bakery in a sunny corner near the park. It had gotten exceedingly popular since it opened last year and was always brimming with eager consumers. Luckily, Elaina and I had our own spot reserved there, as we visited quite often. And it surprisingly wasn't due to my reputation as Kalos Queen, rather I knew the owner.

Elaina stood waiting for me amongst the crowd of morning costumers, still clad in her workout clothes and long blonde hair in a ponytail. Upon seeing me, she waved and called me over.

"You stink." I remarked as we waited to be seated. Elaina grimaced, pouting like a little girl who had her toy confiscated.

"Damn, I thought my sweat smelled like roses."

"Queen Serena, would you like your usual table?" The hostess asked politely, recognizing me from the countless television screens and occasions I had visited.

"Actually, it's a beautiful day out. I think it would be more suitable to sit outside." I responded with my award winning smile. Had I not decided this, possibly things would have gone differently. Elaina may have planted that grim punch between his eyes. Maybe I would have run into his arms despite all bewilderment. Maybe he would have taken me by the waist and hoisted me into the air like a bird's first flight.

"Certainly, your majesty."

The outside sitting area at Slurpuff's Corner was styled with a classic and elegant twist. Delicately crafted chairs and red striped umbrellas all boxed in a black picket fence. We were appointed a table on the outskirts, by the fence overlooking a busy boulevard.

"Serena! Elaina! Nice to see you here again!" A buoyant voice chirped from behind us. We turned to find the owner and head pastry chef of Slurpuff's Corner, Miette. Her ecstatic cobalt hair the same disheveled style, charmed with a headband which was now sprinkled with flour. She had settled her antics over the years in order to accommodate her successful business and dreams of being one of Kalos' finest bakers.

"Miette! Lovely to see you again too!" I greeted as my lips curled once again into a heartening smile.

"Your usual order?" She asked, though, she knew it was unnecessary, for we were people of habit.

"Of course."

"Alright! One Kalosian style breakfast and one giant cinnamon bun with extra icing coming right up!"

*. *. *. *.

A/N: I always just imagined this song playing at this part. Plus, it will always be my favorite song in this album.

I arrived in Kalos in the youth of day, as the sun cast hues of tangerine and vermilion across the sky like hell had begun to seep colors through pores

I arrived in Kalos in the youth of day, as the sun cast hues of tangerine and vermilion across the sky like hell had begun to seep colors through pores. I'd spent the morning on a hunt for Internet, hoping I would be able to uncover information about where I could find Serena. After spending much of my first hours on a computer in the Pokemon Center, I figured out that the Kalos Queen and the league champion resided in an apartment near the city heart. After printing an address, I started my quest for redemption, or at least, acceptance. But soon found myself on the brink of starvation, which wasn't abetted by the warm aromas filtering through every cafe I passed.

The first brews of coffee hung aperitive smells in the air that drew me closer to the open cafe doors. Besides, I'd feel much more confident taking on such task with a satisfied stomach.

I discovered a small cafe near the park called Slurpuff's Corner, in which I'd seen ads and praise for during my search online. Little did I know I was approaching much more than a harbor of baked goods and sugar art. Once I was close enough to see them, there was no unseeing them. I guess, beauty draws a keen eye wether its foreign or recognized. This was no exception.

The duo sat like a fantasy scene, a casted movie or illusory fairytale. I wondered how different they would look--if at all. I wondered if my memories had faded enough that I would have to look twice before recognizing them. But that was not the case.

They were different-- matured and amended-- yet still took no hesitance to verify. Certain features, Elaina's freckles and Serena's royal eyes, had not out grown them.

I'd forgotten my path, my reason of coming and everyone bustling around me. I just stared. The world could have engaged in an instantaneous apocalypse and I wouldn't have noticed.

Serena's bodice was still slender and curved, as if the very hands of time couldn't change her mold. And the standard summer dress she don accented every valley of shape while baring her legs freely. Even her hair had grown to just passed her shoulders, and she hadn't bothered to style it, but it was the kind of rustic that was opulent.

Elaina was the first to notice me. It took her a few moments to process my presence, she almost seemed so disbelieved she'd look away and pretend I wasn't there. But once the clarity leeched into her eyes, I was glad there was a fence between me and her.