3

"Damn, she's fine," Declan said, his face awash in the glow of the theater lights, and I almost barfed.

"She looks. . .cold?" I offered. It was the nicest thing I could come up with.

We had just gotten out of the movie, and instead of going home, we were standing out on the sidewalk in front of the building under a sea of neon lights while Dec stared at his ex-girlfriend Mina with what could only be described as bedroom eyes. His attention was focused on her like she was the sun, and I wondered what had him so worked up tonight.

I had nothing against Mina. Nothing that couldn't be solved with a good old-fashioned cage match, I mean.

To be fair, she would probably kick my ass—heels and short skirt or no.

I didn't hate Mina because she was promiscuous. I hated her because she was a fucking cheater. I had no problem with people who slept around. Guy, girl, whatever else—life is too short not to embrace your inner horniness. That said, I don't think you should agree to be in a monogamous relationship if you can't handle it, and that's exactly what Mina had done.

It would have been awful no matter who she'd cheated on, but the fact that it was my best friend, and the guy I was so whipped for, was like salt in a wound.

Declan frowned at me. "Give me one reason I shouldn't go over and chat her up."

I can give you three, and their names are Bill, Ethan, and Gregory, I almost said. I bit the remark back, though. It would only hurt him, and it wasn't worth it just because I was jealous.

I glanced over to where Mina was standing with a couple of our old friends from high school, stomping their heels to keep warm while ash drifted from the glowing tips of their smokes. Her earrings flashed in the light as she glanced in our direction, looking over Declan like he wasn't there—which would only egg him on—and giving me a little wave with just the tips of her manicured fingertips.

I was too nice not to wave back. I wished I wasn't, but God, I was.

Dec took my silence as a challenge. "I'm going over," he said.

I grabbed his sleeve as he stepped away, tugging him back as hard as I could. He barely moved, but he looked over his shoulder at me. "Why?" I asked, breath clouding in the late autumn air. "It's freezing out here. Can't you screw your ex another time?"

"I'm not gonna screw her, just make her wanna screw me."

"Why?"

He frowned, blue eyes flashing. "Why does it even matter?"

He knew why it mattered. We both did—my feelings for him were always there between us like a physical force in the room.

"I. . ." I faltered, shaking my head. "I just want to go home, okay? I'm tired."

His expression softened, which just made it worse. He stepped a bit closer, looming over me while I tried to think of something else to say without losing my hold on his sleeve. I came up empty, and ended up simply staring back into his eyes, feeling way too vulnerable.

"I only want to talk to her for a minute, Leo. I'll be right back."

"Jesus, Dec! Why are you so hung up on her?"

"Why are you so hung up on me?" he snapped.

It was like a slap in the face.

I couldn't even muster words; it was like someone had dumped ice water on my head. I was pretty sure my heart had stopped.

And then...then I felt rage rising up in me like nothing else.

I wanted to set the world on fire. Only after I slapped Dec in the face.

I opened my mouth, not knowing what would come out—

Over his shoulder, Mina and her friends burst out giggling as they started shoving each other around like idiots.

Something dark rippled through Declan's gaze and he yanked his arm back. "Here," he said harshly, shoving his keys at me. "Go start the car."

He walked away without another word, leaving me there to sink and drown.