How to be a Psychopathic Writer: Hawkeye

Written by @MattStuart

Part 5: Screw the Competition!

Why hello there everybody it is that time of the week again when you get to read my thoughts on a particular topic. Now carrying on from last week we shall be talking through a few death scenes sent in by the lovely readers. You might go “But Hawkeye! The title says screw the competition! How can you do that?”

The answer my lovely readers is because not enough people sent me inboxes :( Everyone make a sad face. Either way with me. I have some pieces I would like to share with you and thus discuss what I liked about them etc, etc.

First up we have the lovely AngelaStevens562 who, I absolutely adore like she’s my own mother, except when I’m picking on her which is quiet fun. Can I swap parents? Anyway here is her little scene from a comedy / fantasy book entitled Mariquitaaimed at the kiddies.

At that moment, Craven was hit by an orange ball of fluff that was surprisingly heavy and even more surprisingly strong. He was sent hurtling through the air. Head over tail over wing tips, he somersaulted higher and higher. Up and up he soared his long legs bicycling as he struggled to orientate his body so he could deploy his wings. Then as he completed the arc he began to fall at an even more alarming rate, plummeting down towards the ground his legs now flailed in all directions as panic washed over him. With no control over his spiraling all he could do was close his eyes and hope he landed on something soft.

With a loud squelch Craven hit something squishy and slimy. As his own breath left his lungs he heard a loud ompfh and realized something, or rather someone, had indeed broken his fall. Craven looked down and found himself sat astride a large brown slug. The creatures slime was coating Cravens legs and wings leaving long sticky, stringy goo hanging from them. In disgust Craven scrambled to his feet and glared at the creature that had inadvertently saved him from breaking his neck. The slug was disorientated, unsure what missile had just hit him.

“Who are you?” Craven snarled.

“Ma…Ma…Matthias, sir” the slug could barely draw enough breath to answer.

Craven smiled, “Well Matthias, seems you saved my life today…”

The slug relaxed at the sight of Cravens smile but then was immediately made to feel even more uncomfortable as Craven bent his head closer to him, “I should think of a special reward for your services my sticky little friend.”

Matthias gulped, “Erm, that’s okay Mr Craven, sir I’ll just be getting on my way…”

But Matthias didn’t get time to finish his sentence because Craven had grasped him by the tail and lowered him down his throat. As the praying mantis chewed the very tough, but not unpleasant tasting Matthias, he turned round to see what had just happened.”

(Reproduced with full permission from the novel Mariquita written by Angela Stevens.)

Straight away you can tell who this is aimed at. Obviously it’s a bit on in the book (but I still haven’t read it yet) and I can see that this particular novel is humorous rather than gruesome. There’s no way my soft hearted Ange wants to bring the eight year olds to tears. I like it because it is quick and she builds the anticipation. You think that Craven, the coward, is going to you know let the little Matthias be, but then BAM! The unexpected, which is awesome. Straight down the chomper he goes. While it is still humorous, this is a great little scene. I’m not sure how much Matthias is in the book, but if he was a major character, let me tell you a sudden death like this would upset the reader.