december

I feel like it's the end of everything. The snow starts, people put up lights, the world smells like sugar and sadness. The world is on life support: it never gets dark, but it's never really bright. Before school lets out, I spend every day looking at you. I miss everything about you.
On the last day of school, I say I didn't mean it. The words scald my lips, and I don't think you believe me. But that weekend we sit together in my room. You come by every Saturday and we talk. We're friends again, I hope.
On Christmas Eve, you say she left you. I can't bring my self to say anything, but my arms still find themselves around you. The touch only lasts for seconds but it leaves me shaking and red. When I let go, I look at you. Your eyes are cloudy and half closed. Before I move my lips again, you press yours into mine.

          You taste like everything. Like honey and hope and flowers and fighting. Less like lemon, and more like love. I never want the kiss to end, my heart is racing with the idea that you love me. You love me too. But when the only thing touching my lips is the cold air, you don't meet my eyes. I try to find my words, but you are already standing. You're redder than roses and dashing for the door. I watch you leave, breathless and empty, again.