Chapter Five

"Hailey, Hailey," I whispered and shook her arm. She yawned, opening her eyes wide and grinned up at me.

"Amara, where have you been?" Her eyes grew wide as she took in my clothes, before she saw the blanket full of bread on my back. "Is that..."

"Yes, bread. Please gather the others and bring them here? Then you can help me hand out the bread," I smiled lightly at her as I set the blanket next to me. She nodded excitedly, all sleep gone from her gaze, as she jumped up and began to run around to the makeshift shelters we had made.

"Amara is home! She has bread!" she yelled as she skipped through the Alleyway. People of all ages came out of the woodwork and began making their way toward me. I had already stuffed Hailey's share of the bread in my coat when I began to hand out equal portions to everyone.

"Wow, it seems he gave us enough for everyone to have a small meal," I whispered under my breath. I received a few curious looks at my new clothing, but everyone in the Alleyway knows better than to ask questions. Many thanks were given to me, and when Hailey returned, I gave her the remaining bread and instructed her what to do. I fingered the gold coin in my pocket, and slipped out of the Alleyway once more to find a new pair of pants and a shirt for Hailey. I found a cheap, yet good quality set of clothing and received enough money in return to buy another round of bread the following day. I realized that people now looked at me different since I was clean and in dirt-free clothes, and it made it easier to traverse the marketplace without people looking at me disgustedly. It annoyed me that the only thing that had changed was my outward appearance, but was simultaneously grateful to Bennet for what he had allowed me to experience. I returned to the Alleyway and presented Hailey with her new clothes and she squealed excitedly before changing in our hut. Once she had changed, I ripped a corner from the blanket and dipped it into the faucet we had access to and wiped her dirty face until it was free of smudges.

"Would you like to take a walk?" I asked her once she was as presentable as I was. She nodded enthusiastically and wrapped her tiny hand in mine. We exited the Alleyway in the marketplace and we began to take a walk around. A kind man offered an apple to Hailey and she accepted it shyly, thanking him as she munched on it.

"People are much nicer when they don't know where we are from," I thought as I watched Hailey devour the apple out of the corner of my eyes.

"So this is why you needed to return so quickly," a voice said behind me and I cringed before turning.

"Bennet, I mean your lordship, what are you doing here?" I asked through clenched teeth.

"I am the lord around these parts, aren't I? I have a right to survey my land," he said smiling cheekily. "And who is this little angel?"

"I am Hailey, your lordship," she curtsied as I taught her, even though she was hiding behind me in fear.

"Yes, yes, introductions have been made, it's time for us to be off now," I said, turning away from Bennet and grabbing on to Hailey's hand.

"But, Amara," Hailey whined, and I cast a wary glance at Bennet when he raised his eyebrows at the name he thought I didn't have. "This man is nice."

"At least someone thinks I am, Amara," he said tauntingly and Hailey looked between us in confusion. "I was actually hoping I would bump into you here. I have a favor to ask," Bennet's eyes were pleading and I took an instinctive backward step. He caught my movement and shook his head, "I don't mean any harm to you."

"I know," I lied, keeping my distance. I knew there was a catch to his niceness.

"A recent maid of mine quit due to a recent marriage, and I have a very important supper coming up that I need an extra set of hands for," he paused to gauge my reaction. "You will be paid handsomely and I will allow you, and the beautiful Hailey," he smiled down at her, "to live in my home. Do we have a deal?" He reached a hand out to mine and after a second of thinking, I place my cold hand into his warm one.

"Deal."