Chapter Seven

The Ylissean prince was standing in the center of the garden staring off into space.

"Chrom?" I asked as he snapped out of his thoughts.

"Good evening (Y/N)," Chrom greeted.

We both sat down near the fountain and chatted about our past.

From what I learned, Chrom's parents passed away during his childhood and doesn't have much recollection of them. Emmeryn became an Exalt at the age of ten. The Ylisseans hated Emmeryn at first but slowly warmed up to her.

Chrom also talked about the horrible things Emmeryn had to face in the beginning. Eventually, she forgave the Ylisseans for what they did to her. She would do anything just to protect them.

"Sounds like she's had a tough life..." I stated, looking at the prince.

Chrom continued to talk about Emmeryn's past and how she mended the once befallen halidom. Also, how the Mad King tries to take advantage of the Exalt's kindness.

"Well spoken, sir." A familiar voice spoke.

"Marth..." Chrom stated as we both turned around to look at the blue swordsman.

"Good evening to you." Marth greeted.

"How did you get in here?" The blue haired prince inquired.

"The cleft in the castle wall, behind the maple grove." Marth responded.

"But how would you...? Oh."

"You know the place, Chrom?" I asked.

"Yes, I bashed in part of the wall while training with one of the Shepherds. I thought it was well concealed since it's small but..." Chrom explained as Marth promised not to tell anyone about it.

"I only came here to warn you." The swordsman stated.

"Warn us? About what?" I asked as I started getting a little anxious.

"The exalt's life is in danger." Marth answered.

"That's absurd, she's guarded at all hours." The Ylissean prince stated.

"What if... I told you I have seen the future? Would you believe me? A future where Emmeryn is assassinated. Here. Tonight." Marth explained as my eyes widen in horror.

"Seen the future? Are you out of your mind?" Chrom asked angrily.

"Yes, I expected you not to believe me. So allow me to prove it!" Marth exclaimed as he took out his sword.

"I'm about to save your life... From him..." Marth stated as we all heard rustling from behind the bushes.

Chrom and I turn around to see what the noise was about and an assassin rises from a bush. Marth throws his sword upwards and jumps. He grabs his sword and slashes the assassin's back, killing him.

"I trust this proof will suffice?" Marth asks as Chrom nods his head.

"...Y-Yeah" Chrom stuttered.

Another assassin rises from the bushes which caught Marth off guard. He slipped on the sword that the first assassin dropped and the other assassin's sword cuts across Marth's butterfly mask; letting loose Marth's long blue hair and revealing his feminine face. I sped past Chrom and Marth and used my Elthunder tome and took care of the assassin.

"Wait you're–You're a woman?" Chrom asked as his eyes widen in shock.

"And I'm quite the actress too. Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't figure it out until just now." Marth states as we hear an explosion coming from the palace.

We all dash inside to see what was going on.

***

"Emm!" Chrom exclaimed as we ran inside the throne room, Marth trailing behind us.

"Chrom! (Y/N)! Take Lissa and flee while you still have time!" Emmeryn commanded as Chrom shook his head.

"No! We're not leaving you! Just stay where it's safe!" Chrom protested as Robin came in.

"The assassins should scatter if we can defeat their leader." Robin stated as we all walk out of the throne room except Emmeryn.

Thank Naga for his tactical thinking. I thought as I glanced at Marth. Her Falchion was glowing brightly.

"Falchion is gleaming..." Marth mumbled as she stares at her sword.

"What's wrong?" Chrom asks.

"It's not your concern." Marth stated bluntly.

"Seems like nothing ever is with you." Chrom replied frankly as Marth apologizes.

"Stay by Emmeryn's door. We'll handle the rest." Chrom states.

"Chrom, please! Flee while you still can! You each have but one life, and I do not wish it weighed against mine!" Emmeryn begged as we ignored her plea and prepared for battle.